King Felix helps Mariners sneak past A'sApr 22, 2011 - 5:55 AM
Felix Hernandez (2-2) pitched 7 2/3 scoreless innings, allowing four hits and three walks while fanning eight to give Seattle its third win in five games.
"He was special tonight, he commanded the ballgame all night long, made pitches when he had to. His stuff is as good as anybody's in the game, tonight, he really stepped up for us. We took him as far as we could take him, just a great effort," said Seattle's manager, Eric Wedge.
Brandon McCarthy (1-1) took the loss despite allowing one run on four hits and one walk while striking out six through eight innings for the A's, who have lost two in a row.
Kennedy's one-out solo shot to right in the fourth gave Seattle the only run it needed with Hernandez on the mound.
Hernandez left the game in the eighth with two outs, having allowed a single to Cliff Pennington and a walk to David DeJesus. Jamey Wright came in for relief and caused Conor Jackson to ground out to second on one pitch.
Brandon League entered the game in the ninth and allowed a leadoff single to Josh Willingham, who advanced to second on a Ryan Sweeney ground out.
League then got Kurt Suzuki to hit a pop up in foul territory to the first base side, where Kennedy made a running, over-the-shoulder catch for the second out. Mark Ellis then popped straight up to the catcher to give League his fourth save.
Oakland did not have a runner reach third base all game.
"Guys are battling, I know they are, but we got to find a different gear or something just to jumpstart the offense somehow," said A's manager, Bob Geren. "We're better than we're hitting, I know that, but we're not doing it. Performance is all that really matters, we got to get it done, we've got to do a better job getting runs somehow."
Hernandez is now 11-4 against Oakland for his career, including 2-0 this season...Oakland's starters have allowed only six earned runs in their last seven games...Oakland is 3-4 in those games.
- OAKLAND: 0
Apr 22 12:28 AM
- Adam Kennedy one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Jack Cust due up.
Athletics 0, Mariners 1 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 21 11:14 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 10:10 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21