Mariners strike late to down slumping RangersMay 4, 2011 - 6:08 AM
David Pauley (1-0) was in line for the loss before the Mariners rallied for two in the home eighth to vulture a win, Seattle's sixth in seven games.
Justin Smoak went 3-for-4 with two driven in for the victors.
Texas, which has lost seven of its last nine overall, had the tying run on second in the ninth, but Brandon League got David Murphy to bounce out sharply to short to finish off his eighth save.
The Rangers recorded no hits against starter Erik Bedard through five innings, but managed to take the lead off Seattle's bullpen in the eighth. Julio Borbon singled to start the inning, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt and stole third. Elvis Andrus stepped in as a pinch-hitter and put down a well-placed bunt as Borbon raced across the plate standing up for a 3-2 advantage.
Seattle responded, as Adam Kennedy opened its final at-bat with a single and Olivo followed with a bunt hit. Smoak's single off the glove of Mike Napoli knocked in a run and promptly ended Pedro Strop's (0-1) relief appearance.
"I couldn't stop the bleeding," Strop said. "I'm upset, but that's part of the game. It happens, so I'm going to try and do better whenever I get the opportunity again."
Darren Oliver came out of the bullpen and was greeted by Cust's base hit up the middle, bringing in the eventual game-winning run.
"That was big for [Cust], obviously big for us," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "Prior to that, he had some hard outs. Great to see him step up for us."
The Mariners wasted a bases-loaded, no-out chance in the second inning when Michael Saunders and Ryan Langerhans each went down on strikes and Brandan Ryan lined out to end the inning.
They managed to tie the game in their next at-beat, with Ichiro Suzuki scoring on Smoak's ground-rule double.
Bedard had not given up a hit to that point, but the Rangers got a run across in the first inning on Chone Figgins' error. Ian Kinsler scored on the potential double-play ball after leading off the inning with a walk.
Kinsler scored again in the sixth on Michael Young's base hit, but Seattle tied things in the seventh, as Langerhans came across on Suzuki's double-play ground ball.
Bedard ended up going seven innings and allowed two runs on two hits. His counterpart, Alexi Ogando, threw six innings of one-run ball and was touched for five hits and just one walk while fanning six...Texas outfielder Nelson Cruz left the game early with tightness in his right quad.
- TEXAS: 3
May 4 1:00 AM
- Jack Cust single to center scored Miguel Olivo with none out. Runners on first and third with none out and Michael Saunders due up.
Rangers 3, Mariners 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 4 12:42 AM
- Justin Smoak infield single to first scored Jack Wilson with none out. Runners on first and third with none out and Jack Cust due up.
Rangers 3, Mariners 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 4 12:38 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Elvis Andrus bunt single to third scored Julio Borbon with one out. Runner on first with one out and Michael Young due up.
Rangers 3, Mariners 2 Top 8, 1 OutMay 4 12:28 AM
- Ichiro Suzuki double play to short scored Ryan Langerhans. None on with two outs and Chone Figgins due up.
Rangers 2, Mariners 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 4 12:21 AM
- Michael Young single to center scored Ian Kinsler with one out. Runner on first with one out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 2, Mariners 1 Top 6, 1 OutMay 3 11:53 PM
- Justin Smoak ground-rule double to right scored Ichiro Suzuki with two out. Runners on second and third with two outs and Jack Cust due up.
Rangers 1, Mariners 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 3 11:21 PM
- Chone Figgins fielding error scored Ian Kinsler with one out. Runners on first and second with one out and Nelson Cruz due up. NOTE: Credit Adrian Beltre with an RBI.
Rangers 1, Mariners 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 3 10:26 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 3 10:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21