Cuddyer, Liriano lead Twins over MarinersMay 18, 2011 - 5:40 AM
Liriano (3-5) threw seven strong innings, allowing one run on three hits and a walk while fanning nine as the Twins snapped a nine-game losing streak.
Felix Hernandez (4-4) went eight innings and allowed two runs on three hits and three walks. He also struck out nine in the Mariners' seventh loss in their last eight games.
"(Felix was) a little erratic there early on, a couple walks, a fastball up to Cuddyer. He rights himself and the next thing you know, you look up, and it's eight innings and still two runs, he did a great job. He was really good his last four or five innings," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge.
Ichiro Suzuki knocked in the lone run for Seattle.
In the first inning, Matt Tolbert reached first on a fielder's choice and Jason Kubel walked before a Justin Morneau ground out pushed the runners into scoring position. Cuddyer then hit a single to center that scored Tolbert and Kubel.
Seattle got its run in the fifth after having three consecutive batters reach base with two outs. Brendan Ryan was hit by a pitch and Michael Saunders singled to put runners on the corners. Suzuki then lined his own single to center field to bring Ryan home and make it a one-run game.
But Liriano held on to the lead before Glen Perkins worked a perfect eighth. Matt Capps entered in the ninth inning for the Twins and got Justin Smoak swinging, then walked Miguel Olivo to put the tying run on base.
Jack Cust then hit a slow grounder to third and Danny Valencia threw to second for the force. Olivo was called out as he slid, but at first it looked like he beat the throw to the bag. Replays confirmed that Olivo was indeed out, but not before Wedge was ejected for the first time this season.
Adam Kennedy followed with a ground out to second to give Capps his sixth save.
"The thing about Frankie is, if he goes out there and throws strikes, he's just as dominant as Felix Hernandez is. It's just a matter of him going out there and not walking guys, and tonight he didn't walk guys and that's what he can do," Cuddyer said about Liriano.
Liriano is now 6-2 lifetime against the Mariners in 10 starts...Brandon League pitched a scoreless ninth for Seattle...Both teams left five men on base.
- MINNESOTA: 2
May 18 12:37 AM
- Chone Figgins struck out swinging to end the inning.
Twins 2, Mariners 1 End 5May 17 11:36 PM
- Michael Cuddyer single to center scored Matt Tolbert and Jason Kubel with two out. Runner on first and Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 2, Mariners 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 17 10:19 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 17 10:10 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21