Bedard, Mariners shut down PadresMay 21, 2011 - 7:00 AM
Bedard (2-4), who hadn't pitched since a 5-2 loss versus the Chicago White Sox on May 8, allowed just three hits and walked two batters. The lefty is unbeaten over his last four appearances. He also moved to 4-0 all-time against the Padres and 8-1 in his career in interleague play.
"I felt fresh," Bedard said. "I just tried not to get too pumped up."
Miguel Olivo homered and Brendan Ryan knocked in two runs for the Mariners, who posted their third straight victory. Carlos Peguero tripled in a run and made a spectacular catch to rob Jorge Cantu of a home run in the seventh inning.
Mat Latos (1-6) was saddled with the loss after surrendering eight hits and four runs in six innings.
Adam Kennedy singled leading off the second inning, and two outs later he scored on Peguero's triple to right-center field. Ryan followed with an RBI single to right.
Rob Johnson struck out swinging to leave a runner at third in the bottom half and the Mariners widened their lead to 3-0 in the fourth. Olivo hit a ground- rule double and came home on Ryan's sacrifice fly.
Bedard retired 11 straight batters until walking pinch-hitter Eric Patterson to lead off the sixth. Chris Denorfia immediately grounded into a double play.
In the top half of the inning, Olivo homered to left field with one out.
"They took advantage of mistakes," Padres manager Bud Black said.
Ryan Ludwick singled to start the bottom of the seventh. Cantu was up next and sent a deep fly to the scoreboard in left. Peguero reached his glove over the wall to take away a home run and doubled Ludwick off first base.
It was an odd bottom of the ninth, but Chris Ray pitched the Mariners out of trouble thanks in part to a base running blunder. Denorfia walked with one out and Ryan botched a potential game-ending double play grounder off the bat of Jason Bartlett. Peguero then couldn't come up with a catch on a sinking line drive from Ludwick. Bartlett, in confusion that the ball may have been caught went back toward first base. It was there that he collided with Ludwick, who was called out for runner's interference.
"They ended up criss-crossing each other. When that happens the batter is out and the force play is taken off second base," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said.
Denorfia scored on the play and Bartlett was awarded second base. Cantu then grounded back to the mound to end the game.
The Padres are mired in a 1-for-23 slump with runners in scoring position over their last four games...San Diego, basement dwellers in the NL West, won four of six meetings with Seattle a year ago and is 97-128 all-time in interleague play. The Mariners own a solid 137-112 mark against the National League...The Seattle pitching staff has gone 4-1 with a 0.60 ERA and a .149 opponents batting average over its last five games.
- SEATTLE: 4
SAN DIEGO: 1
May 21 12:43 AM
- Ryan Ludwick ground out to first scored Chris Denorfia with two out. On the play, Jason Bartlett advanced to second and Ryan Ludwick was called out on runner's interference. Runner on second and Jorge Cantu due up.
Mariners 4, Padres 1 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 21 12:37 AM
- Miguel Olivo one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Carlos Peguero due up.
Mariners 4, Padres 0 Top 6, 1 OutMay 20 11:34 PM
- Brendan Ryan sacrifice fly to center scored Miguel Olivo with two out. None on and Erik Bedard due up.
Mariners 3, Padres 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 20 11:08 PM
- Brendan Ryan single to right scored Carlos Peguero with two out. Runner on first and Erik Bedard due up.
Mariners 2, Padres 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 20 10:32 PM
- Carlos Peguero triple to right center scored Adam Kennedy with two out. Runner on third and Brendan Ryan due up.
Mariners 1, Padres 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 20 10:31 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 20 10:05 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22