Mariners top Red SoxAug 14, 2011 - 11:50 PM
Ichiro Suzuki collected two hits and scored a run for the Mariners and Mike Carp had an RBI single to extend his hitting streak to 14 games, the longest for a Seattle rookie since Ichiro in 2001.
Furbush (3-4) allowed one run on four hits and two walks while striking out six and improved to 2-1 in four appearances since being acquired from Detroit last month.
"I've faced these guys before, so I kind of had a few things I wanted to stick to in certain situations, with certain counts with certain hitters," said Furbush. "The changeup, curveball and slider all seemed to be pretty effective today."
Kevin Youkilis hit a two-run homer off Jeff Gray in the eighth inning, pulling Boston within 5-3, but Brandon League struck out two in a perfect ninth to earn his 29th save.
Wakefield (6-5) tossed his first complete game of the season -- and 33rd of his career -- but took the loss after giving up nine hits and two walks. The 45-year-old knuckleballer is winless in his last four starts since July 24 and stuck on 199 victories.
"I felt great. Obviously the results weren't what I wanted them to be, but I was able to go eight," said Wakefield. "They made some great defensive plays on our offense today. We squared up a lot of balls that were hit right at guys, but other than that Furbush pitched pretty good."
The Mariners captured the last two games of this three-game series to end Boston's team-record streak of seven consecutive winning road trips.
The Red Sox went 3-3 on a six-game trek, trimming their lead over the Yankees for first place in the AL East to a half-game. The Yankees were rained out Sunday.
Seattle won two of three series against the Red Sox this year but still lost the overall season series, 5-4, mostly due to a three-game Boston sweep last month.
No one had a baserunner until Furbush walked Carl Crawford to lead off the third. Crawford stole second base, but was stranded there. The Mariners then got their first runner in the bottom of the third, also on a leadoff walk to Casper Wells.
It touched off a three-run rally that included RBI singles from Jack Wilson and Carp, and a sacrifice fly from Franklin Gutierrez.
Adrian Gonzalez hit a one-out single in the fourth and the Red Sox loaded the bases on a Youkilis walk and David Ortiz single. Jed Lowrie followed with a sacrifice fly to pull Boston within 3-1.
Seattle pushed its lead to 5-1 on Dustin Ackley's RBI single in the fifth and Wells' leadoff homer in the sixth.
Wakefield is trying to become the 108th pitcher with 200 career wins, but the 89th in modern history (since 1900)...The Mariners have won three of their last four games overall...Ichiro had hitting streaks of 16, 21 and 23 games as a rookie in 2001. He extended his own hitting streak to 10 games on Sunday...Youkilis hit his 17th home run and Wells got his seventh.
- BOSTON: 3
Aug 14 6:25 PM
- Kevin Youkilis two-out, two-run Home Run (17) to left scored Dustin Pedroia. David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 3, Mariners 5 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 14 6:05 PM
- Casper Wells lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Jack Wilson due up.
Red Sox 1, Mariners 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 14 5:40 PM
- Dustin Ackley single to center scored Ichiro Suzuki with none out. On the play, Franklin Gutierrez advances to second. Runners on first and second with Mike Carp due up.
Red Sox 1, Mariners 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 14 5:26 PM
- Jed Lowrie sacrifice fly to left scored Adrian Gonzalez with two out. Runners on first and second with Carl Crawford due up.
Red Sox 1, Mariners 3 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 14 5:09 PM
- Mike Carp single to right scored Kyle Seager with one out. On the play, Dustin Ackley advances to second and Ichiro Suzuki advances to third. Bases loaded nd Wily Mo Pena due up.
Red Sox 0, Mariners 3 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 14 4:56 PM
- Franklin Gutierrez sacrifice fly to left scored Jack Wilson with one out. On the play, Kyle Seager advances to third. Runners on first and third with Dustin Ackley due up.
Red Sox 0, Mariners 2 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 14 4:55 PM
- Jack Wilson single to short scored Casper Wells with none out. Runner on first and Kyle Seager due up.
Red Sox 0, Mariners 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 14 4:49 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 14 4:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21