Mariners add to Indians' woesAug 23, 2011 - 4:49 AM
Indians closer Chris Perez (2-6) pitched into trouble in the inning by hitting Miguel Olivo and Brendan Ryan and then was unable to handle a ball hit back to the mound by Trayvon Robinson to load the bases. After a strikeout, Gutierrez lofted a fly ball to center and Ezequiel Carrera had a chance to throw out Olivo at the plate, but the throw came in high and the Mariners catcher was able to slide in safely on a bang-bang play.
Ichiro Suzuki cracked a solo home run among his three hits and rookie Dustin Ackley added a hit for the Mariners, who snapped a five-game skid.
Chance Ruffin (1-0) tossed one inning in relief to earn the win and Brandon League battled through a shaky bottom of the ninth to notch his 31st save.
"If I can get it to [League] without giving up any runs, it's a save for me," Ruffin said.
Lou Marson, who was acquired by the Indians from Philadelphia in the Cliff Lee deal, picked up three hits and knocked in a run for the Tribe, losers in four straight.
League retired the first two Indians in the bottom of the ninth with ease before running into trouble. Jack Hannahan and pinch- hitter Lonnie Chisenhall singled to put runners on the corners and Chisenhall stole second, putting the winning run at second base. After battling League for nine pitches -- almost all sinkers -- Carrera finally hit a weak ground ball to first to end the game.
"We had plenty of opportunities, we just couldn't take advantage of it," Indians manager Manny Acta said.
Earlier, Seattle wasted no time getting on the board as Suzuki ripped the fourth pitch he saw from Indians starter Fausto Carmona, a four-seam fastball that was left out over the plate, into the right field seats for his third home run of the season.
In the second inning, Casper Wells was plunked by Carmona and Adam Kennedy singled to right, allowing Wells to move to third. Wells then crossed the plate with Seattle's second run when Kennedy stole and Marson made an errant throw down to second.
Cleveland rallied to tie the game in the second. Carlos Santana doubled to lead off the frame and Hannahan reached three batters later on a wild throwing error by Ryan, allowing Santana to move to third. Marson then knocked home Santana with a single to center to cut the lead in half. Carrera made the Mariners pay for allowing Hannahan to reach base by ripping a sharp single to left to tie the game at two.
The Indians had a golden opportunity to take the lead in the fourth when Hannahan was plunked by Mariners starter Jason Vargas, Marson reached on an infield single and Carrera ripped a single to left to load the bases with one out. Michael Brantley followed and cued a ball back to Vargas however, allowing the Mariners to turn a 1-2-3 double play to end the frame.
Prior to Monday's game, the Indians placed designated hitter Travis Hafner on the 15-day disabled list with a right foot strain. Pitcher Josh Judy has been recalled to take his roster spot...Monday's game began an 11-game homestand for the Indians after completing a six-game road swing at 2-4...Cleveland right fielder Shin-Soo Choo was not with the team due to the birth of his child...It was Suzuki's 35th career leadoff home run...Seattle is 1-4 so far this season against the Indians...Mariners first baseman Mike Carp had his 20- game hitting streak snapped...Vargas gave up seven hits and two unearned runs over seven frames...Carmona yielded two runs -- one earned -- on six hits in as many innings.
- SEATTLE: 3
Aug 22 10:09 PM
- Franklin Gutierrez sacrifice fly to center scored Miguel Olivo with two out. Runners on first and second and Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 3, Indians 2 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 22 9:50 PM
- Ezequiel Carrera single to left scored Jack Hannahan with two out. On the play, Lou Marson advances to second. Runners on first and second and Michael Brantley due up.
Mariners 2, Indians 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 22 7:58 PM
- Lou Marson single to center scored Carlos Santana with two out. On the play, Jack Hannahan advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ezequiel Carrera due up.
Mariners 2, Indians 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 22 7:55 PM
- Brendan Ryan struck out swinging. On the play, Adam Kennedy stole second. Casper Wells scored on Lou Marson's throwing error with two out. Runner on second and Trayvon Robinson due up.
Mariners 2, Indians 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 22 7:37 PM
- Franklin Gutierrez grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 22 7:10 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 22 7:07 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21