Mariners send Twins to 11th straight lossSep 22, 2011 - 4:18 AM
Dustin Ackley and Kyle Seager had RBI doubles for the Mariners, winners of three straight.
Cesar Jimenez (1-0) worked 1 1/3 innings in relief to earn the win and Brandon League made it through a shaky ninth to earn his 36th save of the season.
Joe Benson had an RBI double, Michael Cuddyer picked up three hits and Chris Parmelee had an RBI single among his three hits for the Twins, who have lost 11 games in a row.
Kevin Slowey (0-7) took a no-hitter into the sixth but wound up yielding five runs on six hits over 6 2/3 innings in defeat. He struck out six and did not issue a walk.
"It's unfortunate, things aren't falling into place right now," Parmelee said. "It's part of the game. We're going to come back tomorrow, keeping working hard and we'll get some wins."
With the game tied at two in the seventh, Justin Smoak and Miguel Olivo hit back-to-back singles and both advanced a base on a sacrifice bunt by Adam Kennedy. A strikeout by Alex Liddi left the Mariners with men on second and third with two outs before Robinson came up with his two-run hit, then scored on Suzuki's hit off Phil Dumatrait.
The Twins pulled a run back in the eighth when Trevor Plouffe doubled to center off Tom Wilhelmsmen and scored on a single by Brian Dinkelman to make it 5-3.
Minnesota picked up a run in the bottom of the ninth on an RBI single by Plouffe with two outs, but fell one hit short, as League got Dinkelman to ground out to end the game.
"I've liked the result the past two nights," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said, "League got it done. They did a good job being aggressive, but you know our bullpen did a great job. To get five innings out of the bullpen, it says a lot about them."
Minnesota opened the scoring in its first at-bat when Ben Revere and Cuddyer laced back-to-back one-out singles and Parmelee came up with a single to bring home Revere.
Plouffe began the Twins' fourth with a single to left and moved to second on a wild pitch by Mariners starter Michael Pineda. Following a foul out by Dinkelman, Benson knocked in Plouffe with a double to center to make it 2-0.
Suzuki beat out an infield single with two down in the sixth for Seattle's first hit, then back-to-back doubles by Seager and Ackley knotted the game at two.
Wednesday marked Pineda's final start of the season. He gave up two runs on six hits over four frames, while striking out two and walking two. He had 173 strikeouts this year, which ranks second in franchise history for a rookie...Minnesota's 11-game skid is the third longest in franchise history, and the longest since its record 14-game slide in 1982.
- SEATTLE: 5
Sep 21 10:58 PM
- Joe Benson popped out to short. Runner on first with one out and Rene Rivera due up.
Mariners 5, Twins 3 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 21 10:39 PM
- Kyle Seager grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Mariners 5, Twins 2 Mid 7Sep 21 10:16 PM
- Phil Dumatrait enters the game for the Twins with a runner on first and two out.
Mariners 4, Twins 2 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 21 10:11 PM
- Dustin Ackley doubled to center scored Kyle Seager. Runner on second with two outs and Mike Carp due up.
Mariners 2, Twins 2 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 21 9:49 PM
- Joe Benson doubled to center scored Trevor Plouffe. Runner on second with one out and Rene Rivera due up.
Mariners 0, Twins 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 21 9:09 PM
- Danny Valencia flied out to left. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Mariners 0, Twins 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 21 8:25 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 21 8:11 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21