McCutchen helps Pirates edge MetsJun 12, 2011 - 4:52 AM
McDonald (4-4) gave up two runs, eight hits and three walks for the Pirates, who rebounded from an 8-1 loss in the opener of this four-game series.
R.A. Dickey (3-7) went the distance for New York, allowing three runs on eight hits over eight frames.
The Mets lost for just the third time in their last nine games.
"We have a chance to get back to .500 on this road trip," Dickey said. "We're playing good baseball. That was a great baseball game. It's painful and it sucks and I wish I would have won it. But it was a great baseball game."
Trailing by a run, the Pirates tied the game in the second when Garrett Jones found the gap in left-center field for a one-out double that scored Neil Walker, who led off with a walk.
Pittsburgh took the lead in the third after Dickey retired the first two batters. Jose Tabata singled and Josh Harrison walked before McCutchen hit a sharp grounder that deflected off Mets third baseman Daniel Murphy and rolled into foul territory. Both runners crossed the plate to put the Pirates up 3-1.
The Mets threatened in the fourth, loading the bases with two outs on a walk and a pair of singles. But McDonald escaped the jam by getting Dickey to ground into an inning-ending double play.
New York did scratch out a run in the fifth, as Carlos Beltran singled home Jose Reyes. Howeve
- NEW YORK: 2
Jun 11 9:28 PM
- Carlos Beltran singled to short scoring Jose Reyes. Runner on first with one out and Daniel Murphy due up.
Mets 2, Pirates 3 Top 5, 1 OutJun 11 8:20 PM
- Andrew McCutchen doubledoff third to left scoring Jose Tabata and Josh Harrison. Runner on third with two outs and Neil Walker due up.
Mets 1, Pirates 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 11 8:00 PM
- Garrett Jones doubled to left center scoring Neil Walker. Runner on second with one out and Brandon Wood due up.
Mets 1, Pirates 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 11 7:38 PM
- Daniel Murphy grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scoringd Ruben Tejada. Carlos Beltran out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Angel Pagan due up.
Mets 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 11 7:15 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 11 7:06 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21