Reyes, Mets take down RangersJun 27, 2011 - 12:47 AM
Daniel Murphy added three hits, two runs scored and an RBI for New York, which took two of three in the interleague series.
Dillon Gee (8-1), coming off his first loss of the season, got back in the win column with a quality six-inning start of three runs allowed on eight hits.
Derek Holland (6-3) was knocked around for 12 hits and seven runs -- just three earned -- in six-plus inning for Texas. Michael Young went 2-for-5 with a home run and three RBI in a losing effort.
"I'm not going to rack my brain thinking about it. I'm just going to expect we'll get better," Youns said about the defeat. "We have a lot of good people in this clubhouse, a lot of good confident players."
The Rangers took the series opener before getting routed, 14-5, on Saturday. They handed the Mets a first-inning run in the finale when a wild pitch allowed Reyes to score.
A solo home run from Young and an RBI single from Mitch Moreland in the bottom half gave the Rangers a short-lived lead, as New York countered with four runs in the second.
"It was nice to come in and just battle," Gee said. "Not good stuff today, but after the first inning, especially when they got me the lead back, my main goal was to keep them there, keep us in the game. I was just fortunate to be able to do that."
Ronny Paulino initiated things with a single, moved to third on Murphy's base hit and scored on Adrian Beltre's throwing error.
Reyes laced a single to left to bring in Murphy, and Carlos Beltran chased home the final two runs with a two-out single back up the middle.
Young singled home Endy Chavez in the fifth, but the Mets got two more in the sixth when Murphy doubled to knock in Paulino and scored on Ruben Tejada's RBI single.
Jason Bay's fielder's choice plated the final Mets run in the ninth, and the Rangers got two off Francisco Rodriguez in the bottom half on an RBI hit by Chavez and a run-scoring groundout by Young.
Reyes boosted his average to a National League-best .341...Gee was a University of Texas at Arlington product, selected by the Mets in the 21st round of the 2007 draft...Young extended his hitting streak to 12 games...Rangers manager Ron Washington and shortstop Elvis Andrus were both ejected by home plate umpire Andy Fletcher for arguing balls and strikes in the sixth.
- NEW YORK: 8
Jun 26 6:12 PM
- Michael Young grounded out short to first scoring Ian Kinsler with one out. Runner on second and Adrian Beltre due up.
Mets 8, Rangers 5 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 26 6:08 PM
- Endy Chavez doubled to left scoring Andres Blanco with none out. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to third. Runners on second and third and Michael Young due up.
Mets 8, Rangers 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 26 6:07 PM
- Jason Bay grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scoring Jose Reyes with two out. Carlos Beltran out at second. Runner on first and Scott Hairston due up.
Mets 8, Rangers 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 26 5:53 PM
- Ruben Tejada singled to right scoring Daniel Murphy with one out. Runner on first and Jose Reyes due up.
Mets 7, Rangers 3 Top 6, 1 OutJun 26 4:55 PM
- NOTE: Texas Rangers Manager Ron Washington ejected by HP umpire Andy Fletcher.
Mets 6, Rangers 3 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 26 4:54 PM
- Michael Young singled to center scoring Endy Chavez with none out. Runner on first and Adrian Beltre due up.
Mets 5, Rangers 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 26 4:38 PM
- Carlos Beltran singled to center scoring Angel Pagan and Jose Reyes with two out. Runner on first and Jason Bay due up.
Mets 5, Rangers 2 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 26 3:53 PM
- Jose Reyes singled to left scoring Daniel Murphy with one out. On the play, Angel Pagan advances to second. Runners on first and second and Justin Turner due up.
Mets 3, Rangers 2 Top 2, 1 OutJun 26 3:50 PM
- Angel Pagan reached on fielder's choice, scoring Ronny Paulino on Adrian Beltre's throwing error with none out. On the play, Daniel Murphy advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ruben Tejada due up.
Mets 2, Rangers 2 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 26 3:48 PM
- Mitch Moreland singled to center scoring Adrian Beltre with two out. On the play, Nelson Cruz advances to third. Runners on first and third and David Murphy due up.
Mets 1, Rangers 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 26 3:31 PM
- Michael Young two-out, solo Home Run (7) to left center. Adrian Beltre due up.
Mets 1, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 26 3:26 PM
- With Jason Bay batting, wild pitch by Derek Holland scored Jose Reyes with one out. Justin Turner advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Jason Bay at the plate.
Mets 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 26 3:18 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 26 3:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22