Hairston's heroics lead Mets over GiantsJul 9, 2011 - 7:15 AM
Carlos Beltran and Nick Evans tacked on run-scoring singles in the last inning, while Angel Pagan hit a two-run homer earlier in the game for New York, which has won five of six overall.
Nate Schierholtz provided the Giants' offense with a home run and sacrifice fly. Wilson (6-2) took the loss in relief of Ryan Vogelsong, who battled through seven innings and yielded two runs on seven hits and five walks.
"He kept his poise and kept us in the game," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said of Vogelsong. "He leaves the ballgame tied 2-2 after seven innings. That's a pretty good job he did."
The Mets countered one of the Giants' three All-Star starters with a strong outing from R.A. Dickey, who also allowed two runs on seven hits over seven frames.
San Francisco's All-Star closer, however, did not fare as well, as Hairston came off the bench and worked a full count against Wilson before skying one that kept carrying into the left-field seats.
"You got one of the best closers on the mound and you hit a home run off him. That deserves a little cheer," Mets manager Terry Collins said.
New York piled on two more, as Beltran knocked in Pagan with a base hit and scored on Evans' two-out single up the middle.
Francisco Rodriguez set down the Giants in order in the bottom half to record his 23rd save of the season.
Pedro Beato (2-1) recorded the final two outs of the eighth to earn the win.
The Mets wasted a bases-loaded chance in the fourth, and Schierholtz broke a scoreless tie in the bottom half by plating Pablo Sandoval with a sacrifice fly. Sandoval doubled leading off the inning to extend his hitting streak to a career-high 19 games.
New York took the lead in its next turn as Pagan sent a two-run blast over the wall in right-center, but Schierholtz tied the game in the sixth when he found McCovey Cove for his seventh home run of the season.
Before the game, the Giants placed infielder Bill Hall on the 15-day disabled list because of a deep laceration on his lower left leg. To fill his spot on the roster, infielder Mike Fontenot was activated from the DL...The Mets may be in the early stages of facing seven straight All-Stars. The Giants are slated to throw Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain in the final two games of the series, while New York opens the second half against a Phillies club that could send Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels to the hill...Beltran and Daniel Murphy each posted three hits for the Mets, who won despite stranding 11 runners.
- NEW YORK: 5
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Jul 9 1:18 AM
- Nick Evans singled to scored Carlos Beltran. On the play, Daniel Murphy advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Josh Thole due up.
Mets 5, Giants 2 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 9 1:11 AM
- Carlos Beltran singled to left scored Angel Pagan. Runner on first with one out and Daniel Murphy due up.
Mets 4, Giants 2 Top 9, 1 OutJul 9 1:00 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Scott Hairston lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Angel Pagan due up.
Mets 3, Giants 2 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 9 12:51 AM
- Nate Schierholtz one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Aaron Rowand due up.
Mets 2, Giants 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 9 12:08 AM
- Angel Pagan one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored RubenTejada. Justin Turner due up.
Mets 2, Giants 1 Top 5, 1 OutJul 8 11:33 PM
- Aaron Rowand reached first on Daniel Murphy's throwing error. Runner on first with two outs and Miguel Tejada due up.
Mets 0, Giants 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 8 11:22 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 8 10:17 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22