Mets win in extras, Isringhausen earns milestone saveAug 16, 2011 - 8:03 AM
Lucas Duda went 3-for-4 with a solo homer, while Pridie scored three times in the opener of this three-game series. Josh Thole went 3-for-3 with a two-run homer and three RBI, as New York snapped a five-game slide.
Jason Isringhausen became the 23rd player in major league history to record 300 saves, as the right-hander escaped a jam with two runners in scoring position. Isringhausen achieved the milestone after missing all of last season, and making only nine appearances in 2009.
"We had a champagne party here a while ago and stuff like that," Isringhausen said. "It is special. It's the reason I came back."
Will Venable belted a two-run homer for the Padres, who lost for the third time in four games.
Mets starting pitcher R.A. Dickey gave up seven hits and three runs over 6 1/3 innings, while San Diego's Aaron Harang yielded eight hits and four runs in five-plus frames.
The Mets pushed across the go-ahead run without a hit in the 10th, an inning started by Josh Spence (0-2) on the mound. Pridie and Thole walked. Chad Qualls then entered from the bullpen and Ruben Tejada put down a sacrifice bunt.
Hairston was up next and hit a bouncer on the left side of the infield. Shortstop Alberto Gonzalez made a diving stop, but didn't have enough time to throw home. Instead, he threw to second and got Thole caught in a rundown, well after Pridie crossed the plate.
Manny Acosta (1-0) pitched the ninth, but Isringhausen ran into trouble in the 10th by walking Orlando Hudson with one out and giving up a single to Nick Hundley. Gonzalez then grounded out to move the runners into scoring position, and Logan Forsythe grounded a ball that was knocked down by Tejada at shortstop and he threw to first for the last out.
Duda and Thole homered in the second inning, and the lead remained 3-0 through the frame, one in which the Padres left the bases loaded.
Cameron Maybin scored on a Kyle Blanks double in the third, but Thole singled in Pridie in the fourth.
The Mets left the bases full in the fifth and a runner on third in the sixth before the Padres made it a one-run affair in the seventh on Venable's fourth homer of the year.
"Happy to be swinging the bat well," Venable said. "I don't like looking back too much. It's disappointing that it wasn't there from the beginning. But we all go through it."
Pinch-hitter Jesus Guzman singled to right to score Hudson in the eighth.
This was Isringhausen's seventh save of the season...The Mets left 11 men on base, while San Diego stranded 10...New York, which improved to 34-30 on the road this season, snapped a five-game skid in away contests dating back to July 29 at Washington...Duda is batting .357 (15-for-42 with 10 RBI this month.
- NEW YORK: 5
SAN DIEGO: 4
Aug 16 1:45 AM
- Scott Hairston grounded into a fielder's choice to short scoring Jason Pridie. On the play, Josh Thole out at third. Runner on first with two outs and Angel Pagan due up.
Mets 5, Padres 4 Top 10, 2 OutsAug 16 1:30 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Jesus Guzman single to right scored Orlando Hudson. Runner on first with two outs and Logan Forsythe due up.
Mets 4, Padres 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 16 12:49 AM
- Will Venable one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Logan Forsythe. Jason Bartlett due up.
Mets 4, Padres 3 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 16 12:25 AM
- Josh Thole single to right scored Jason Pridie. Runner on first with two outs and Ruben Tejada due up.
Mets 4, Padres 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 15 11:05 PM
- Lucas Duda lined out to left. None on with one out and Jason Bay due up.
Mets 3, Padres 1 Top 4, 1 OutAug 15 11:00 PM
- Josh Thole one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Jason Pridie. Ruben Tejada due up.
Mets 3, Padres 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 15 10:26 PM
- Lucas Duda lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Jason Bay due up.
Mets 1, Padres 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 15 10:21 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 15 10:05 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22