Marlins smash MetsSep 6, 2011 - 4:04 AM
Vazquez (9-11) gave up only one run on six hits to win his second start in a row. He also didn't walk a batter and struck out seven, pushing his career total to 2,507 and passing Hall of Famer Christy Mathewson (2,502) for 29th place all-time.
The right-handed Vazquez benefited from a steady flow of offensive support. Jose Lopez, who homered, and Logan Morrison also finished with three hits in the Marlins' third consecutive win.
"Even though we're out of it, as a professional as an athlete, you want to be good every time out," Vazquez said. "It's important for everyone to try and finish as strong as we can."
They were coming off Sunday's 14-inning, 5-4 victory against the Phillies.
Chris Capuano (10-12) allowed six runs in four innings to take the loss for the Mets, who had won eight of 10 entering this three-game series.
"He's pitched so well all year long," Mets manager Terry Collins said of Capuano. "It's the first time he hasn't given us five or six innings all year. Every mistake he made was belt high in the middle of the plate and they hammered him."
Bonifacio's leadoff double started a first-inning rally for the Marlins. He moved to third on a bunt and scored on a wild pitch, racing across the plate between a scrambling Josh Thole and Capuano.
Two batters later, Sanchez ripped a double deep to left field. The ball smacked the top of the tall wall, bouncing back onto the field for a hit ruled a double.
Morrison then grounded a ball back up the middle to make it a 2-0 game.
Lopez crushed a homer down the left field line in the bottom of the third, and after David Wright tripled and scored on a groundout in the fourth, the Marlins took control.
Mike Cameron reached on a one-out double in the home half of the fourth, then scored on Bryan Petersen's liner that just eluded Capuano's glove.
A Petersen steal, John Buck walk and Vazquez bunt put runners in scoring position with two away for Bonifacio, who delivered another key hit. He lined a single to right to plate both runners and make it a 6-1 contest.
The Marlins continued to add runs against the Mets' bullpen. D.J. Carrasco relieved Capuano in the fifth and allowed an RBI double to Cameron, and had an error keep him on the mound in the sixth.
Ruben Tejada's miscue allowed Omar Infante to reach with two away, opening the door for Florida to increase its lead again. Lopez's double set up Sanchez's two-run single that made it a 9-1 contest.
After yielding the run in the fourth inning, Vazquez didn't allow a runner to reach second base. Jason Bay hit a two-run homer off Chris Hatcher deep to left field in the ninth inning.
The series is the Mets' final at Sun Life Stadium. They are 72-72 at the venue, which will be replaced by Florida's new ballpark next season...The Marlins reinstated catcher John Baker (Tommy John surgery), infielder Donnie Murphy (wrist inflammation) and right-handed reliever Brian Sanches (strained elbow) from the disabled list Monday. They also moved lefty Randy Choate (elbow inflammation) to the 60-day DL.
- NEW YORK: 3
Sep 5 10:02 PM
- Jason Bay one-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Angel Pagan. Nick Evans due up.
Mets 3, Marlins 9 Top 9, 1 OutSep 5 9:55 PM
- Gaby Sanchez single to center scored Omar Infante and Jose Lopez with two out. Runner on first and Logan Morrison due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 9 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 5 9:04 PM
- Mike Cameron double to left scored Gaby Sanchez with one out. On the play, Logan Morrison advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Bryan Petersen due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 7 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 5 8:45 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio single to right scored Bryan Petersen and John Buck with two out. Runner on first and Omar Infante due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 5 8:32 PM
- Bryan Petersen single to center scored Mike Cameron with one out. Runner on first and John Buck due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 4 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 5 8:24 PM
- Angel Pagan ground out second to pitcher scored David Wright with one out. None on and Jason Bay due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 3 Top 4, 1 OutSep 5 8:13 PM
- Jose Lopez two-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Gaby Sanchez due up.
Mets 0, Marlins 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 5 8:03 PM
- Logan Morrison single to center scored Gaby Sanchez with two out. Runner on first and Mike Cameron due up.
Mets 0, Marlins 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 5 7:28 PM
- Jose Lopez grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Mets 0, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 5 7:24 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 5 7:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21