Thome, Twins top Orioles to split seriesApr 22, 2011 - 5:17 AM
Scott Baker (1-2) pitched seven scoreless innings allowing four hits and one walk while fanning nine for Minnesota, which has now won three of its last five.
"These guys are pretty aggressive, so when you have a situation like that you don't have to be too fine or too perfect." said Baker. "Really it's just keeping these guys off balance, changing speeds, and fortunately that's what we were able to do tonight."
Jeremy Guthrie (1-3) took the loss, going seven innings and allowing two runs on seven hits while striking out four to give Baltimore its ninth loss in 11 games.
Thome's solo shot to center field in the second gave the Twins an early lead.
Thome added another run when he singled to score Alexi Casilla in the sixth after Casilla led off the inning with a single and moved to second when Michael Cuddyer was hit by a pitch.
Cuddyer's one-out, solo shot in the eighth made the score 3-0.
Vladimir Guerrero's infield single in the eighth scored Brian Roberts after he singled and moved to third on a Derrek Lee double to put Baltimore on the board.
"It's just one of those circumstances that seems like we can't beat the guy," said Roberts. "He's a good pitcher so you tip your hat and, unfortunately, you move on and try to come back tomorrow and get a win."
The Orioles' had plenty of opportunities to get into the game earlier, but they stranded runners on second base in the third, fourth, and fifth innings.
Matt Capps entered the game in the ninth and got two quick fly-outs before allowing a single to Matt Wieters. He then struck out Robert Andino to earn his third save of the season
Thome's home run was the 591st of his career...Brian Roberts extended his hit streak to nine games...Baltimore went 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base.
- MINNESOTA: 3
Apr 21 9:48 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero infield single to short scored Brian Roberts. Runners on first and third with two outs and Luke Scott due up.
Twins 3, Orioles 1 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 21 9:32 PM
- Michael Cuddyer one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Jim Thome due up.
Twins 3, Orioles 0 Top 8, 1 OutApr 21 9:08 PM
- Jim Thome singled to center scored Alexi Casilla. Runners on first and third with one out and Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 2, Orioles 0 Top 6, 1 OutApr 21 8:34 PM
- Jim Thome one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right center. Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 1, Orioles 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 21 7:21 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22