Bergesen, Orioles shut out RaysMay 15, 2011 - 2:08 AM
Bergesen (1-4) limited Tampa to four hits, while fanning five and issuing one walk. It snapped a nine-start winless streak for the 25-year-old, dating back to a September 21 victory at Boston.
"It feels good just to pitch well. I say it a lot, but wins and losses are something we can't control," Bergesen said. "Our job is to go out there, keep our club in the ballgame and give them a chance to win."
Mark Reynolds also homered, while Vladimir Guerrero and Adam Jones each collected two hits and an RBI for the Orioles, who have won four of their last five and shook off a 3-0 loss in Friday's series opener.
Wade Davis (4-3) was charged for seven hits and four runs over 5 1/3 frames for the Rays, who saw their three-game win streak come to a halt.
The O's picked up a run in the first as Lee worked a two-out walk and scored when Guerrero followed with a double.
Reynolds cleared the wall in right-center with one out in the fifth for a 2-0 Baltimore edge.
Fox launched a two-run shot in the sixth, then Nick Markakis led off the seventh with a walk and stole second. Davis was pulled for Adam Russell after fanning Lee swinging, but Guerrero singled and Jones' base hit brought in Markakis with two outs to make it 5-0.
Roberts reached on a two-out base hit in the eighth and came in on Lee's double to right-center for the eventual six-run winning margin.
Bergesen worked out of trouble in the first, inducing an inning-ending double- play grounder from Evan Longoria with runners on the corners. He stranded a man on third in the second and third frames, then turned aside the Rays in order in the next three innings.
Tampa couldn't get a man home from first with one down in the seventh, then went quietly in the eighth. Ben Zobrist walked to start the ninth, but Bergesen ended the contest by retiring the next three batters.
"The first inning, that was a big play. We had first-and-third, and of course, 'Longo' hits into a double play," said Rays manager Joe Maddon. "This guy does throw a lot of ground balls, a nice sinker and a change against the lefties. I know we had other things going, but nothing as big as the first inning."
This was Bergesen's fourth career complete game...Rays outfielder B.J. Upton returned to action after serving a two-game suspension for a tirade during a May 4 game...Former Hootie and the Blowfish front-man Darius Rucker will provide a post-game concert as part of the club's ongoing Summer Concert Series...Tampa Bay fell to 26-4 all-time during contests which precede the entertainment...Baltimore posted its 18th win of the season, a mark it didn't reach until June 15 in 2010.
- BALTIMORE: 6
TAMPA BAY: 0
May 14 6:43 PM
- Derrek Lee doubled to right scored Brian Roberts. On the play, Nick Markakis advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Orioles 6, Rays 0 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 14 6:25 PM
- Adam Jones singled to center scored Nick Markakis. On the play, Vladimir Guerrero advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 5, Rays 0 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 14 6:03 PM
- Jake Fox one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Adam Jones. Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 4, Rays 0 Top 6, 1 OutMay 14 5:36 PM
- Brian Roberts singled to right. Runner on first with one out and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 2, Rays 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 14 5:12 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero doubled to left center scored Derrek Lee. Runner on second with two outs and Luke Scott due up.
Orioles 1, Rays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 14 4:16 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 14 4:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21