Crisp helps Oakland clip BaltimoreMay 29, 2011 - 7:54 AM
Josh Outman (1-0) earned his first win since June 8, 2009 after allowing two runs on six hits and five walks in six innings. He missed all of the 2010 season while he recovered from Tommy John surgery.
"My first win in a [long time], so that's a plus," said Outman. "Really, I just need to keep working and do a better job with the command next time. But a good feeling overall."
Mark Ellis homered for the A's, who have won four out of their last five games.
Brad Bergesen (1-6) went 5 2/3 innings, allowing three runs -- two earned -- on nine hits and two walks while striking out five in Baltimore's second straight loss after a five-game winning streak.
Since the 2008 season, the Orioles are just 1-11 in Oakland.
"I don't think our team really focuses on that," said Bergesen, who was optioned to Triple-A Norfolk after the game. "Traveling across country, it's tough sometimes. Other than that, we don't have an answer."
The A's took a 1-0 lead in the second inning, sparked by Ellis' single on a grounder to the right side of the infield. Second baseman Ryan Adams made a diving grab, but his throw was wide of first and Ellis took second on the throwing error. Kevin Kouzmanoff followed with a single to plate Ellis.
Baltimore tied the game in the third after Craig Tatum and Robert Andino worked back-to-back, one-out walks. Adam Jones then pulled a ball through the left side of the infield to bring in Tatum.
Oakland took the lead right back in the bottom half of the third. Crisp led off with a single, stole second and later scored on a single by Josh Willingham to make it 2-1.
The Orioles answered back yet again in the fourth inning. Nolan Reimold started the inning with a single and, after two flyouts, Adams had a base hit and Tatum then singled in Reimold. Andino walked to load the bases, but Jones fanned on a low-and-inside slider to end the inning an keep the game knotted at two.
The back-and-forth continued in the sixth as the A's took the lead for a third time. Cliff Pennington hit a two-out double and Crisp knocked him in with a line drive to center field for a 3-2 advantage.
Oakland added some cushion to its lead when Ellis led off the eighth inning with his first home run of the year.
Joey Devine and Grant Balfour pitched one scoreless inning apiece of relief before Brian Fuentes entered in the ninth for Oakland. Fuentes got two quick outs before hitting Jones with a pitch. Jones stole second during a Nick Markakis at-bat, but Markakis flew out to left to end the game and give Fuentes his 10th save of the year.
Vladimir Guerrero extended his hitting streak to 13 games with a single in the fifth...Baltimore went 2-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base...Since the 2008 season, the Orioles are just 1-11 in Oakland.
- BALTIMORE: 2
May 29 1:05 AM
- Mark Ellis lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Kevin Kouzmanoff due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 29 12:49 AM
- Coco Crisp single to center scored Cliff Pennington. Coco Crisp to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Daric Barton due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 29 12:06 AM
- Craig Tatum single to center scored Nolan Reimold. On the play, Ryan Adams advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Robert Andino due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 2 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 28 11:18 PM
- Josh Willingham single to center scored Coco Crisp.. Runner on first with two outs and Hideki Matsui due up.
Orioles 1, Athletics 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 28 11:08 PM
- Adam Jones single to left scored Craig Tatum. On the play, Robert Andino advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 1, Athletics 1 Top 3, 1 OutMay 28 10:57 PM
- Kevin Kouzmanoff single to right scored Mark Ellis.. Runner on first with two outs and Cliff Pennington due up.
Orioles 0, Athletics 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 28 10:45 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 28 10:18 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21