Reynolds paces Baltimore's rout of RoyalsAug 3, 2011 - 4:19 AM
Chris Davis hit his first homer as a member of the Orioles -- a solo shot in the ninth -- and drove in two runs. Davis and pitcher Tommy Hunter were acquired by Baltimore on Saturday in a trade that sent relief pitcher Koji Uehara to Texas.
Alfredo Simon (3-4) gave up one run on four hits over seven innings to pick up the win. Hunter made his Orioles debut on Tuesday, giving up one run on two hits in one inning of relief.
The Orioles snapped a three-game skid and improved to 3-5 on a 10-game road trip.
Eric Hosmer and Billy Butler had an RBI apiece for the Royals, who had won three of four.
Bruce Chen (5-5) allowed three runs on seven hits over 4 2/3 innings to suffer the loss. He walked four and struck out two.
"I felt like my command wasn't there, but I felt like I was competing, trying to do everything I could to help this team win," Chen said. "Unfortunately we came up short. I'm really trying."
The Orioles loaded the bases with one out in the first inning, but Chen got out of the jam by getting Reynolds to ground into a double play.
Kansas City got on the board in the home first. With one out, Melky Cabrera doubled to center and Butler walked. Hosmer followed with an RBI double to center for a 1-0 lead.
Baltimore made sure it scored with the bases loaded in the third. J.J. Hardy singled before Nick Markakis and Vladimir Guerrero walked to fill the bases with two outs. Reynolds came through this time around, hitting a two-run double to left for a 2-1 edge.
"That first at-bat was real frustrating," Reynolds said. "I had a chance to at least hit a sac fly. When Vlade (Guerrero) walked and we had the bases loaded again, I was just trying to shorten up and try to hit the ball in the gap. He (Chen) threw me a fastball, kind of in the middle, and I was able to get a good swing on it."
The O's tacked on another run in the fifth. With two outs, Reynolds singled and Matt Wieters walked. Davis followed with an infield single that deflected off Chen, and Reynolds was able to score on the play for a 3-1 lead. Louis Coleman took over for Chen and got Nolan Reimold to fly out.
Simon retired 11 straight batters prior to Brayan Pena reaching first on Hardy's fielding error.
Baltimore added a run in the sixth. Robert Andino led off with a bunt single and crossed the plate on Hardy's double to left.
Hunter made his Orioles debut in the eighth. Alex Gordon and Cabrera hit consecutive one-out singles to put men on the corners. Butler followed with a sacrifice fly to right to cut the gap to 4-2.
Reynolds broke the game open in the ninth with a three-run homer. Everett Teaford walked Markakis to begin the frame, and Guerrero singled two batters later. Reynolds cleared the bases with a blast over the wall in left for a 7-2 edge. Davis added a solo shot to left to account for the final margin.
Baltimore has won five of seven contests against Kansas City this season...Chen fell to 2-1 lifetime against Baltimore...The Royals recalled Teaford from Triple-A Omaha on Tuesday...The Orioles claimed pitcher Jo-Jo Reyes off waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays on Tuesday and released pitcher Justin Duchscherer. Also on Tuesday, the team reinstated pitcher Brad Bergesen from the paternity list. To make room on the roster for Reyes, the team transferred outfielder Luke Scott to the 60-day disabled list.
- BALTIMORE: 8
KANSAS CITY: 2
Aug 2 11:01 PM
- Chris Davis two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Felix Pie due up.
Orioles 8, Royals 2 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 2 10:53 PM
- Mark Reynolds one-out, three-run Home Run (24) to left scored Nick Markakis and Vladimir Guerrero. Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 7, Royals 2 Top 9, 1 OutAug 2 10:49 PM
- Billy Butler sacrifice fly to right scored Alex Gordon with two out. Runner on first and Eric Hosmer due up.
Orioles 4, Royals 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 2 10:36 PM
- J.J. Hardy double to left scored Robert Andino with none out. Runner on second and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 4, Royals 1 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 2 9:52 PM
- Chris Davis infield single to short scored Mark Reynolds with two out. On the play, Matt Wieters advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nolan Reimold due up.
Orioles 3, Royals 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 2 9:41 PM
- Matt Wieters fouled out to catcher to end the inning.
Orioles 2, Royals 1 Mid 3Aug 2 8:58 PM
- Eric Hosmer double to center scored Melky Cabrera with one out. On the play, Billy Butler advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jeff Francoeur due up.
Orioles 0, Royals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 2 8:29 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 2 8:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-White Sox Preview May 21