Hardy, Wieters homer as Orioles down TwinsAug 23, 2011 - 3:48 AM
Zach Britton (7-9) was activated from the disabled list earlier Monday and allowed one run on six hits and four walks to snap his career-high, five-game losing streak. He placed on the DL on August 5 with a left shoulder strain.
Kevin Gregg needed just eight pitches in a perfect ninth to close out the game for his 18th save of the year.
"You can just see by the way our team has been gelling we needed to get that win today. I think we turned it around and we're going to show it," said Orioles reliever Mike Gonzalez.
Carl Pavano (6-10) went seven innings, allowing four runs on nine hits and two walks in the Twins' fourth loss in five games.
Robert Andino led off the third with a single, stole second, moved to third on Nolan Reimold's base hit and crossed the plate on Ryan Adams' single up the middle to give the Orioles a 1-0 lead.
A Hardy sacrifice bunt put runners on second and third with one out, but Nick Markakis grounded back to the mound and Adam Jones flied out to center to keep it a one-run game.
After a Ben Revere single and a Trevor Plouffe double put runners on second and third in the bottom half of the inning, Joe Mauer's groundout to short plated Revere and tied the game at one.
Michael Cuddyer and Jason Kubel worked back-to-back walks to load the bases with two outs, but Jim Thome flied out to left to end the inning.
Baltimore then added a run in three straight innings to take the lead.
In the fifth, Hardy pulled a two-out, solo home run over the wall in left field, and Wieters added a solo shot to right in the sixth.
"I was trying to stay away from the inside part of the plate and the first time I [went there] he hit it out. I had a feeling he was trying to juice something," Pavano said about Hardy's home run.
Hardy worked a one-out walk in the seventh and came around to score on a Markakis double to make it a 4-1 game.
Minnesota entered the game batting .261 with runners in scoring position, but stranded a runner at third in the fourth, a man on second in the fifth and runners on second and third in the seventh. The Twins ended the game 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base.
Minnesota placed pitcher Nick Blackburn on the 15-day disabled list and recalled pitcher Lester Oliveros from Triple-A Rochester Monday...Baltimore recalled infielder Ryan Adams from Triple-A Norfolk and placed pitcher Jason Berken on the 15-day disabled list Monday...Twins third baseman Danny Valencia and manager Ron Gardenhire were ejected by home plate umpire Hunter Wendelstedt in the eighth inning for arguing balls and strikes...Pavano fell to 5-5 lifetime against Baltimore in 11 starts...Baltimore now leads the season series 3-2.
- BALTIMORE: 4
Aug 22 10:57 PM
- Nick Markakis double to center scored J.J. Hardy with one out. Runner on second and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 4, Twins 1 Top 7, 1 OutAug 22 10:17 PM
- Matt Wieters one-out, solo Home Run (13) to right. Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 3, Twins 1 Top 6, 1 OutAug 22 9:54 PM
- J.J. Hardy two-out, solo Home Run (24) to left. Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 2, Twins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 22 9:30 PM
- Joe Mauer ground out short to first scored Ben Revere with two outs. On the play, Trevor Plouffe advances to third. Runner on third and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Orioles 1, Twins 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 22 9:01 PM
- Ryan Adams single to center scored Robert Andino with none out. On the play, Nolan Reimold advances to second. Runners on first and second and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 1, Twins 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 22 8:46 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 22 8:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22