Adams gets GW hit in 10th, as O's edge Blue JaysAug 31, 2011 - 3:24 AM
With the Orioles trailing 5-4, Matt Wieters and Mark Reynolds worked consecutive leadoff walks against Brian Tallet (0-1). Pinch-hitter Jake Fox then knocked in the tying run with a one-out single to right before Adams connected. The ball bounced over the fence to end the game.
Willie Eyre (1-0) picked up the win despite giving up a go-ahead run in the top of the 10th.
Wieters cracked a two-run homer and Vladimir Guerrero added an RBI double for the O's, winners in seven of their last nine.
Brett Lawrie clubbed a three-run homer and Eric Thames added two doubles for the Blue Jays, losers in five of their last six games.
The Jays trailed by a run in the ninth, but tied the game against Orioles closer Kevin Gregg. J.P Arencibia led off with a single and Mike McCoy walked, and a double steal put runners in scoring position. DeWyane Wise, pinch- running for Arencibia, scored on a sacrifice fly by Yunel Escobar to make it 4-4.
Toronto took the lead in the top of the 10th, when Kelly Johnson ripped a triple to begin the inning and hustled home on a wild pitch by Eyre.
But Baltimore won after coming back to take the lead from Toronto, something that had already played out once in Tuesday's game.
Toronto jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the second. Edwin Encarnacion and Johnson drew one-out walks before Lawrie deposited a Jeremy Guthrie pitch over the wall in left for his sixth homer of the season.
But the Orioles started to come back in the home half.
Guerrero led off with a base hit and Wieters followed with a homer, holding back on a changeup from Jays starter Brett Cecil and launched it over the fence in dead center field.
Reynolds then reached on an infield single that deflected off the glove of Lawrie at third base, and Robert Andino walked to put two runners on with no outs.
Cecil recovered to retire the next three hitters and retain the lead, but gave it up in the fourth.
Andino ripped a two-out double off the wall in right and came around to score on a Nolan Reimold single. A throwing error by Cecil on the play allowed Baltimore to make it 3-3.
The inning continued when Adams singled up the middle, pushing Reimold to third, but Cecil got J.J. Hardy to fly out to left.
Toronto squandered a golden opportunity to take the lead back in the fifth. Thames ripped a leadoff double, Jose Bautista reached when Wieters dropped a pop-up and Adam Lind singled to load the bases. But Encarnacion grounded into a 1-2-3 double play and Johnson flied out to end the inning.
Baltimore took the lead in the fifth, when Adam Jones worked a one-out walk and rounded the bases on a double by Guerrero.
Prior to Tuesday's game, the Orioles reinstated pitcher Troy Patton from the restricted list and designated pitcher Mark Hendrickson for assignment...Bautista has reached base in 111 of his 122 games this season...Cecil gave up four runs on eight hits over six innings while fanning four and walking two...Guthrie yielded three runs on six hits over six innings, while striking out five and walking two...Toronto has won eight of the 13 meetings this season...Hardy extended his hitting streak to 13 games...Andino snapped an 0-for-12 slump with the double in the fourth.
- TORONTO: 5
Aug 30 10:26 PM
- Ryan Adams doubled to right scored Mark Reynolds to win the game.
Blue Jays 5, Orioles 6 Bot 10, 1 OutAug 30 10:26 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jake Fox singled to right scored Matt Wieters. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Ryan Adams due up.
Blue Jays 5, Orioles 5 Bot 10, 1 OutAug 30 10:23 PM
- Kelly Johnson scores on Willie Eyre's wild pitch. None on with one out and Jose Molina at the plate.
Blue Jays 5, Orioles 4 Top 10, 1 OutAug 30 10:09 PM
- Yunel Escobar sacrifice fly out to right scored DeWayne Wise. On the play, Mike McCoy advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Eric Thames due up.
Blue Jays 4, Orioles 4 Top 9, 1 OutAug 30 9:46 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero doubled to right scored Adam Jones. Guerrero out at third, right to third. None on with two outs and Matt Wieters due up.
Blue Jays 3, Orioles 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 30 8:47 PM
- Nolan Reimold reached first on Brett Cecil's throwing error scored Robert Andino. Runner on first with two outs and Ryan Adams due up.
Blue Jays 3, Orioles 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 30 8:25 PM
- Matt Wieters none-out, two-run Home Run (15) to center scored Vladimir Guerrero. Mark Reynolds due up.
Blue Jays 3, Orioles 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 30 7:36 PM
- Brett Lawrie one-out, three-run Home Run (6) to left scored Edwin Encarnacion and Kelly Johnson. J.P. Arencibia due up.
Blue Jays 3, Orioles 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 30 7:28 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 30 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22