Orioles rip Haren, AngelsSep 17, 2011 - 4:54 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - J.J. Hardy drove in three runs while Nolan Reimold added a two-run home run to help the Baltimore Orioles roll to an 8-3 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim to open a three-game set.
Mark Reynolds hit a solo homer and scored twice while Robert Andino added two hits, an RBI and two runs scored for the Orioles, who have won three straight. Tommy Hunter (4-4) snapped a two-start losing streak as he pitched seven scoreless innings, giving up seven hits and two walks while striking out five.
"We played really good out there tonight, all around," said Reynolds. "Hopefully we can keep it up down the stretch and make life tough for the other teams."
Hank Conger hit a two-run home run in the ninth inning and Alexi Amarista added an RBI single in the frame for the Angels, who had a two-game winning streak stopped. Dan Haren (15-9) was tagged for seven runs -- six earned -- on seven hits over five-plus innings.
"I've been searching for a bit of consistency all season," said Haren. "You know, it's frustrating to go out there and give up that many runs."
The Angels still trail the Rangers by 3 1/2 games for first place in the AL West. Texas lost to Seattle on Friday.
The Orioles took the lead in the third inning on an RBI single from Andino and a run-scoring groundout off the bat off Hardy for a 2-0 lead.
The fifth inning saw Baltimore add to its lead. Reynolds led off the frame with his 33rd home run of the season. Andino later singled with one out and Matt Angle hit a grounder to third that seemed routine, but it went between the legs of Alberto Callaspo. Hardy made the Angels pay for the error when he followed with a double to plate both runners for a 5-0 lead.
The Orioles solidified their advantage in the sixth. With men on second and third and no outs, Tyler Chatwood came on in relief and immediately uncorked a wild pitch that scored one. Reimold followed with his 11th homer of the season for an 8-0 lead.
With Kevin Gregg on the mound and a man on base, Conger blasted his sixth homer of the season to get the Angels on the board. Amarista later doubled home Andrew Romine to make it a five-run game, but Mike Trout struck out to end the contest.
It was only the second win for the Orioles in seven games against the Angels this season...Haren, who had won his previous two starts, fell to 5-3 in 10 starts against the Orioles...Hunter improve to 2-4 in eight games against the Angels...The Angels batted 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Sep 16 10:01 PM
- Alexi Amarista double to right scored Andrew Romine with two out. Runner on second and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 3, Orioles 8 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 16 9:58 PM
- Hank Conger one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Efren Navarro. Andrew Romine due up.
Angels 2, Orioles 8 Top 9, 1 OutSep 16 9:48 PM
- Nolan Reimold none-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Mark Reynolds. Robert Andino due up.
Angels 0, Orioles 8 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 16 8:58 PM
- Mark Reynolds advances to third and Chris Davis scored on a Tyler Chatwood wild pitch with none out. Runner on third and Nolan Reimold at the plate.
Angels 0, Orioles 6 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 16 8:58 PM
- J.J. Hardy double to left scored Robert Andino and Matt Angle with one out. Runner on second and Nick Markakis due up.
Angels 0, Orioles 5 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 16 8:36 PM
- Mark Reynolds lead-off Home Run (33) to left. Nolan Reimold due up.
Angels 0, Orioles 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 16 8:28 PM
- Nick Markakis flied out to left to end the inning.
Angels 0, Orioles 2 End 3Sep 16 7:58 PM
- Robert Andino singled to left scored Nolan Reimold with none out. Runner on first and Matt Angle due up.
Angels 0, Orioles 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 16 7:55 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 16 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Orioles power past Angels 9-4 on 4 homers May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21
- Angels starter Santiago ejected for gesturing to umpire May 20
- Tim Lincecum signs $2.5 million, 1-year deal with Angels May 20