BoSox lose to O's, tied with Rays for wild cardSep 27, 2011 - 5:52 AM
Robert Andino's three-run, inside-the-park home run capped a four-run sixth inning as Baltimore downed Boston, 6-3, in the opener of a three-game series from Camden Yards.
Coupled with Tampa Bay's 5-2 victory over the New York Yankees, the Rays and Sox are tied atop the AL wild card standings with identical 89-71 records. Each team has two games remaining.
"We know we have to win two games now," Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury said. "We have to come out in the next two days and compete. We have to look at it like these are playoff games."
Chris Davis added two hits and drove in a pair of runs for the Orioles, who have won five of seven.
Troy Patton (2-1) turned in 1 2/3 innings of scoreless relief for the win.
Jed Lowrie homered and Dustin Pedroia posted two hits and an RBI for the reeling Red Sox, who have dropped 19 of 25 games in September.
Josh Beckett (13-7) was charged in defeat with seven hits and six runs over six full frames.
The Orioles surged to victory thanks in part to a bit of history. When Vladimir Guerrero hit a leadoff single in the deciding frame, he surpassed Julio Franco on the all-time hit list for Dominican-born players with 2,587. He swiped second with one out, Mark Reynolds walked and Davis doubled home the go-ahead run.
Andino followed with a deep drive to center field which Ellsbury appeared to have tracked down. However, the ball popped out of his glove as he collided with the wall. All three runs came in, with Andino crossing home plate easily, and it was 6-2 for the Orioles.
The hit was extra special for Andino, who had his father attending the game.
"It's priceless," Andino said. "Who would think I'd hit an inside-the-park home run in my dad's first game."
Jim Johnson came on in the ninth, but plunked Ellsbury, who moved to second on a balk and scored on Pedroia's hit to right. David Ortiz singled, but Adrian Gonzalez flied out and Lowrie fanned swinging to prolong Boston's late-season swoon.
Boston's Marco Scutaro scored on a throwing error in the second inning, but Matt Wieters tied the game in the home half with a one-out homer.
Lowrie's leadoff shot over the scoreboard in right gave Boston a 2-1 edge in the fourth, but the O's countered in the fifth. Adam Jones led off with a single, Reynolds walked and Davis plated a run with a base hit.
Orioles starter Tommy Hunter allowed seven hits and one earned run in five innings...Beckett, who walked four and fanned five, finished the year 1-2 with a no-decision against Baltimore...Prior to the game, the Red Sox recalled catcher Luis Exposito from Triple-A Pawtucket...Ellsbury extended his hit streak against the Orioles to 34 straight games, dating back to April of 2009...Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek was a late scratch with a left-knee injury, while backup Jarrod Saltalamacchia departed in the eighth after being hit in the throat by a foul ball.
- Dustin Pedroia singled to right scoring Jacoby Ellsbury. Runner on first with one out and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 3, Orioles 6 Top 9, 1 OutSep 26 10:20 PM
- Robert Andino two-out, three-run, inside-the-park Home Run (5) to center scored Mark Reynolds and Chris Davis. Matt Angle due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 26 9:23 PM
- Chris Davis doubled to right scoring Vladimir Guerrero. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Robert Andino due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 26 9:21 PM
- Chris Davis singled to center scoring Adam Jones. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Robert Andino due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 26 8:49 PM
- Jed Lowrie lead-off Home Run (6) to right. J.D. Drew due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 1 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 26 8:06 PM
- Matt Wieters one-out, solo Home Run (21) to left. Adam Jones due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 26 7:39 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury doubled to left. On the play, Matt Angle's throwing error scored Marco Scutaro . Runner on third with two outs and Carl Crawford due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 26 7:33 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 26 7:08 PM
- BOSTON: 3
Sep 26 10:26 AM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21