Astros get two in ninth, clip CardsApr 27, 2011 - 7:10 AM
Lance Berkman, in his first game at Minute Maid Park as a visitor, doubled in Matt Holliday in the top of the ninth to give the Cardinals a 5-4 lead that Mitchell Boggs (0-1) gave away in the bottom half.
Chris Johnson had two hits and two RBI while Hunter Pence went 3-for-5 with a solo homer for the Astros, who have won two of three.
Daniel Descalso doubled twice, tripled and knocked in three runs to pace the Cardinals, who were coming off a weekend series win over Cincinnati.
The Astros spoiled Berkman's storybook return to Houston, where he spent the first 11 1/2 seasons of his career before getting dealt to the Yankees at last year's trade deadline.
"It's always going to be a little bit strange coming here, obviously different than any other place we go," said Berkman, who went 2-for-5.
Brian Bogusevic, recalled from Triple-A Oklahoma earlier in the day to fill in for the injured Jason Michaels, singled to lead off the home ninth and moved to second on a passed ball. Bourn put down a bunt that Boggs bobbled, and the speedster beat out the throw to put runners on the corners.
Yadier Molina failed to handle Boggs' 50-foot toss to the plate shortly thereafter. The wild pitch went up the first-base line, and Bogusevic scored the tying run without a play at the plate.
Angel Sanchez and Pence each singled to load the bases, and Hall ended the game by grounding one past a drawn-in infield on the left side.
"These are games that can get you over the hump," Hall said. "We kept battling."
Brandon Lyon (2-1) was credited with the win despite giving up Berkman's go- ahead double in the ninth.
The Cardinals got their first three runs in the fourth after Sanchez booted David Freese's routine grounder to keep the inning alive. Molina followed with a single, and Nick Punto's double knocked in Freese before Descalso tripled off the right-field wall for a 3-0 game.
Pence got one back leading off the bottom half with a mammoth home run off the railroad tracks high above the wall in left field, and the Astros took their first lead in the sixth.
Houston loaded the bases without hitting the ball out of the infield, as Sanchez beat out an infield single, Carlos Lee reached on Freese's error and Hall worked a one-out walk.
Brett Wallace, who went 3-for-4 at the plate, ended Jaime Garcia's outing with an RBI single, and Johnson greeted Miguel Batista with a humpback liner to left that scored Lee and Hall.
The Astros squandered a base-loaded chance in the eighth when Hall bounced into a inning-ending double play, and St. Louis tied it in its next turn.
Molina opened the eighth with a base hit, and after moving to second on a sacrifice bunt, came around to score when Descalso lofted a fly ball down the left-field line that just stayed fair.
Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols, bothered by a hamstring injury, came on as a pinch-hitter in the eighth and was intentionally walked...St. Louis scratched shortstop Ryan Theriot with right rib cage soreness...The Cardinals have six blown saves this season, four coming from Ryan Franklin...Garcia surrendered four runs -- three earned -- on six hits in 5 1/3 innings of work for St. Louis, while his counterpart, Bud Norris, allowed seven hits and three unearned runs over six solid frames...The Astros won 10 of the 15 matchups with St. Louis a year ago.
- ST. LOUIS: 5
Apr 26 11:37 PM
- Bill Hall singled to left scored Michael Bourn with one out to end the game.
Cardinals 5, Astros 6 Bot 9, 1 OutApr 26 11:37 PM
- Mitchell Boggs wild pitch scored Brian Bogusevic. Runner on first with none out and Angel Sanchez at the plate.
Cardinals 5, Astros 5 Bot 9, 0 OutsApr 26 11:30 PM
- Lance Berkman doubled to left scored Matt Holliday. Runner on second with none out and David Freese due up.
Cardinals 5, Astros 4 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 26 11:12 PM
- Daniel Descalso doubled to left scored Yadier Molina. Runner on second with one out and Miguel Batista due up.
Cardinals 4, Astros 4 Top 8, 1 OutApr 26 10:47 PM
- Chris Johnson singled to center scored Carlos Lee and Bill Hall. Runners on first and second with one out and Humberto Quintero due up.
Cardinals 3, Astros 4 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 26 10:12 PM
- Brett Wallace singled to left scored Angel Sanchez. Bases loaded with one out and Chris Johnson due up.
Cardinals 3, Astros 2 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 26 10:05 PM
- Hunter Pence lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Carlos Lee due up.
Cardinals 3, Astros 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 26 9:17 PM
- Jaime Garcia grounded out first to pitcher to end the inning.
Cardinals 3, Astros 0 Mid 4Apr 26 9:14 PM
- Nick Punto doubled to right scored David Freese. Runners on second and third with two outs and Daniel Descalso due up.
Cardinals 1, Astros 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 26 9:10 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 26 8:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21