Gonzalez powers Rockies over CardinalsAug 14, 2011 - 3:15 AM
Todd Helton hit a two-run double while Eric Young Jr. scored twice for the Rockies, who snapped a three-game skid. Jason Hammel (7-11) gave up just one run on five hits with three walks over 6 1/3 innings.
"It was a well-played game on our side tonight," said Colorado manager Jim Tracy. "It was a combination of good pitching and key hits when we had the chances to score. Gonzalez looked really sharp out there tonight and Helton is who he is."
David Freese drove in the lone run for the Cardinals, who had a two-game win streak stopped. Jaime Garcia (10-6) was tagged for all five runs on six hits with four walks and three strikeouts over five innings to take the loss.
"The way things turned out wasn't good for him," said St. Louis manager Tony La Russa about Garcia. "Then Helton had that big hit in the fifth. It was just a tough night out there for him. And our bats didn't help things at all."
The Rockies scored all the runs they needed in the third inning, when Young and Dexter Fowler worked back-to-back walks and Gonzalez followed with his 18th homer of the year.
Colorado plated two more runs in the fifth. Young led off with an infield single, moved to second on a Fowler groundout and advanced to third on a wild pitch. After Gonzalez popped out, Troy Tulowitzki was issued an intentional walk. Helton made the Cards pay, as he roped a double to left to chase home both runners for a 5-0 lead.
The Cardinals finally got on the board in the seventh. Matt Holliday walked and Lance Berkman followed with a single to put runners at the corners. Freese then grounded into a fielder's choice to score Holliday. Yadier Molina followed with a single, but Josh Roenicke then took the mound and got Ryan Theriot to line into a double play and end the inning.
Colorado added another run in the top of the ninth on an RBI ground-rule double from Gonzalez.
Rafael Betancourt then set down the Cardinals in order in the bottom of the ninth to close the win.
The Cardinals have won three of the five games against Colorado this season...Garcia fell to 0-2 in three career starts against the Rockies...Hammel moved to 1-1 in two starts against St. Louis.
- COLORADO: 6
ST. LOUIS: 1
Aug 13 10:18 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez ground-rule double to right scored Seth Smith with two out. On the play, Eric Young Jr. advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 6, Cardinals 1 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 13 10:07 PM
- David Freese fielder's choice to third scored Matt Holliday with one out. Runner on first with one out and Yadier Molina due up.
Rockies 5, Cardinals 1 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 13 9:26 PM
- Todd Helton double to left scored Eric Young Jr. and Troy Tulowitzki with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Eliezer Alfonzo due up.
Rockies 5, Cardinals 0 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 13 8:35 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez one-out, three-run Home Run (18) to right center scored Eric Young Jr. and Dexter Fowler. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 3, Cardinals 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 13 7:58 PM
- COLORADO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 13 7:16 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21