Four-run eighth shoots Padres past AstrosApr 17, 2011 - 10:18 PM
Jorge Cantu hit a two-run homer and drove in three overall for San Diego, which scored four runs in the eighth to get the win and earn a series split. Nick Hundley had a solo shot.
Bill Hall hit a two-run single for the Astros, who were looking to win consecutive games for the first time this season.
The Padres faced a 6-3 deficit after six innings, but began their comeback in the seventh, when Venable reached third on an error by pitcher Fernando Abad and scored on Orlando Hudson's sacrifice fly.
Mark Melancon (1-1) came in to get the final out of the seventh and remained on the mound for the Astros in the eighth.
The right-hander had not allowed a run in eight innings prior to Sunday's game, but was responsible for all four San Diego runs in the frame -- though only two were earned.
After Hundley singled, Ryan Ludwick reached on an error by shortstop Angel Sanchez. Cameron Maybin grounded into a fielder's choice before Jason Bartlett smacked an RBI single to right.
Melancon walked pinch-hitter Brad Hawpe before giving up Venable's two-run hit, which put the Padres in front, 7-6. Jeff Fulchino took over for Melancon and walked Hudson to load the bases. Chase Headley grounded into a force out at the plate, but Fulchino walked Cantu to force in San Diego's final run.
Mike Adams then pitched a scoreless eighth for the Padres, and Heath Bell worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the ninth to get his fourth save.
San Diego's late rally spoiled a good start from the Astros' Brett Myers, who allowed three runs in six innings.
All his runs allowed came on homers -- Hundley led off the second with a blast to left, and Cantu hit his shot in the fifth.
But Houston's hitters had success against Padres starter Clayton Richard, who gave up Hall's single in the second. Run-scoring hits from Hunter Pence and Carlos Lee in the third gave the Astros a 4-1 lead.
After Cantu's two-out homer brought the Padres within a run, the Astros tacked on two more runs in the sixth.
Pence led off with a single before scoring on Lee's double. Jason Michaels hit a fly ball to right, allowing Lee to move to third and chasing Richard from the game. Ernesto Frieri (1-1) came in and gave up an RBI single to Chris Johnson.
Myers allowed eight hits, walked two, and struck out five...Myers has pitched at least six innings in 36 of his last 37 starts...In 5 1/3 innings, Richard gave up seven hits, walked one and fanned five...Padres right fielder Chris Denorfia left the game after four innings with a bruised left forearm. He was replaced by Venable and is day-to-day.
- SAN DIEGO: 8
Apr 17 5:14 PM
- Jorge Cantu walked. Will Venable scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 8, Astros 6 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 17 4:37 PM
- Will Venable singled to center scored Cameron Maybin and Jason Bartlett. Runners on first and third with one out and Orlando Hudson due up.
Padres 7, Astros 6 Top 8, 1 OutApr 17 4:28 PM
- Jason Bartlett singled to right scored Nick Hundley. Runners on first and second with one out and Ernesto Frieri due up.
Padres 5, Astros 6 Top 8, 1 OutApr 17 4:23 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Orlando Hudson sacrifice fly out to center scored Will Venable. None on with one out and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 4, Astros 6 Top 7, 1 OutApr 17 4:01 PM
- Chris Johnson singled to left scored Carlos Lee. Runner on first with one out and Bill Hall due up.
Padres 3, Astros 6 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 17 3:46 PM
- Carlos Lee doubled to left scored Hunter Pence. Runner on second with none out and Jason Michaels due up.
Padres 3, Astros 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 17 3:40 PM
- Jorge Cantu two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Chase Headley. Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 3, Astros 4 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 17 3:20 PM
- Carlos Lee singled to left scored Hunter Pence. Runner on first with two outs and Jason Michaels due up.
Padres 1, Astros 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 17 2:56 PM
- Bill Hall singled to right scored Jason Michaels and Chris Johnson. Bill Hall out at 2nd. None on with two outs and Humberto Quintero due up.
Padres 1, Astros 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 17 2:34 PM
- Nick Hundley lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Ryan Ludwick due up.
Padres 1, Astros 0 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 17 2:21 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 17 2:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21