Hawpe, Moseley lift Padres to win over DodgersMay 2, 2011 - 12:58 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Brad Hawpe collected two hits and drove in two runs, while Dustin Moseley turned in seven scoreless innings as San Diego downed Los Angeles, 7-0, in the rubber match of a three-game set from Dodger Stadium.
Moseley (1-3) limited LA to three hits and two walks while fanning six.
"Dustin has a very good understanding of pitching. Given the chance to go every fourth or fifth day, he's rambling," said Padres manager Bud Black of his starter. "He's pitched very well. Today he threw more curveballs than usual. He's got a very good head on his shoulders."
Chase Headley added a two-run double and Cameron Maybin scored twice with an RBI for the Padres, who won the final two games in the series.
Andre Ethier extended his hit streak to 27 games with a single in the seventh inning for the Dodgers, who were blanked for the third time this season.
Ethier joined Joe Medwick (1942) and Duke Snider (1953), for the third- longest string in franchise history. Zack Wheat's 29-game run in 1916 ranks second and Willie Davis holds the all-time mark with his 31-game streak in 1969.
Jon Garland (1-2) was charged with three hits and three runs with four walks over six frames in the setback.
Nick Hundley began a three-run Padres third with a walk, and Orlando Hudson's single put runners on the corners ahead of an RBI single from Maybin and a two-run hit by Hawpe.
Ethier needed good fortune to keep his streak alive leading off the seventh. His grounder behind first base caromed off Hawpe, who had no play as he scrambled to keep the ball near him. After a brief delay, it was ruled a single.
Moseley worked around that bit of Dodgers history by retiring the next three batters to end his outing.
The Padres tacked on four more in the ninth against a trio of relievers, as Jorge Cantu delivered a pinch-hit run-scoring single, Jason Bartlett recorded a sacrifice fly and Headley's double plated two more.
Mike Adams and Chad Qualls turned in scoreless eighth and ninth innings to close out the rout.
"Jon always finds a way to keep himself in the game, but we just couldn't help him out," said LA mnanager Don Mattingly. "Today, Dustin had good movement with his fastball and kept us off balance. He changed angles with his curveball."
San Diego's 9-17 April was its worst since going 7-17 in 1994...The 17 losses also tied the most in April in franchise history (1987, 1994, 2008)...The Padres entered Sunday ranked second in majors with 32 stolen bases (Kansas City was tops with 34), and tacked on one more when Headley swiped second in the third inning...Ethier tied the Dodgers' record with 40 hits in 27 April contests, a mark he shared with Rafael Furcal (2008) and Mike Piazza (1996).
- SAN DIEGO: 7
LOS ANGELES: 0
May 1 7:15 PM
- Chase Headley doubled to left scored Jorge Cantu and Will Venable. Runner on second with two outs and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 7, Dodgers 0 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 1 7:01 PM
- Jason Bartlett sacrifice fly out to right scored Brad Hawpe. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 5, Dodgers 0 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 1 6:58 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jorge Cantu singled to left scored Cameron Maybin. Runners on first and second with one out and Will Venable due up.
Padres 4, Dodgers 0 Top 9, 1 OutMay 1 6:49 PM
- Brad Hawpe singled to left scored Orlando Hudson and Cameron Maybin. Runner on first with none out and Eric Patterson due up.
Padres 3, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 1 4:31 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
May 1 4:14 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21