Padres edge Red SoxJun 22, 2011 - 6:11 AM
Nick Hundley went 2-for-3 with an RBI double for San Diego, which also picked up its first interleague victory of the season after starting 0-7. The Padres dropped the opener of this three-game set on Monday after Boston scored 10 runs in the seventh inning.
But the Red Sox had no such rally in them a day later, as they lost for just the third time in their last 17 games.
Boston scored one run at a time Tuesday, and after it rallied to tie the game in the sixth, the Padres grabbed the lead again in the seventh thanks to a few close plays.
With Headley on first base and one out, Jesus Guzman ripped a fly ball to deep right-center field. Jacoby Ellsbury gave chase, but was about a foot away from making the catch near the warning track, and the ball bounced over the short wall for a ground-rule double.
The hit sent Headley to third, and Dan Wheeler (0-1) intentionally walked Orlando Hudson to set up a force play at any base.
Daniel Bard was called in from the bullpen and got Anthony Rizzo to hit a broken-bat grounder to first. Adrian Gonzalez fielded the ball and wheeled around like he was going to throw home, but lost control and could get only the out at first. Headley scored to give San Diego a 5-4 edge.
"We had a couple chances to get the big hit to stretch the lead," Padres manager Bud Black said. "Our guys hung in there, our guys keep playing, we don't get down. That's sort of the nature of our club."
The Red Sox threatened in the ninth after Kevin Youkilis led off with a single, but David Ortiz grounded into a double play. Heath Bell then struck out J.D. Drew to secure the win and his 19th save.
Alfredo Aceves started for Boston in place of Josh Beckett, who missed the start because of illness. Aceves struggled with his control, issuing six walks in five innings and throwing only 53 of his 99 pitches for strikes.
Five of the walks came consecutively in the second inning with two outs. He walked Cameron Maybin, Hundley and Chris Denorfia to load the bases and prompt a visit to the mound, but it didn't immediately help.
Aceves walked Jason Bartlett on five pitches to force in a run, then put Headley on base with his 11th pitch of that plate appearance to give the Padres their second run.
"When he lost his command, normally it's for a hitter or two then you reel it back in," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. "He just didn't find it for a while because after that he came back and actually threw the ball well."
San Diego tacked on two more runs in the third, when RBI hits by Maybin and Hundley made it a 4-1 game.
Aceves, though, finished his outing by retiring the final six batters he faced to give his offense a chance to get back in the game.
Boston did so thanks to Josh Reddick, who tripled leading off the third and scored on Ellsbury's line single up the middle. In the fourth, he doubled in Jarrod Saltalamacchia to bring the Red Sox within 4-3.
They tied the game in the sixth after Chad Qualls (4-3) replaced Padres starter Mat Latos. The first batter he faced, Gonzalez, singled to right to plate Marco Scutaro. An error by Headley earlier in the inning allowed Scutaro to take third base.
In 5 2/3 innings, Latos allowed four runs on 10 hits and four walks, while striking eight...Ortiz stole a base in the fifth inning -- his first since August 3, 2008 and the 11th of his career...Youkilis finished with four hits.
- SAN DIEGO: 5
Jun 21 10:53 PM
- Anthony Rizzo ground out first to pitcher scored Chase Headley. On the play, Orlando Hudson advances to second and Jesus Guzman advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 5, Red Sox 4 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 21 9:58 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to right scored Marco Scutaro. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Padres 4, Red Sox 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 21 9:41 PM
- Dustin Pedroia walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Padres 4, Red Sox 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 21 8:56 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury single to center scored Josh Reddick. Runner on first with none out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Padres 4, Red Sox 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 21 8:20 PM
- Josh Reddick tripled to right. Runner on third with none out and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Padres 4, Red Sox 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 21 8:17 PM
- Cameron Maybin single to center scored Anthony Rizzo. Runner on first with two outs and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 3, Red Sox 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 21 8:10 PM
- Ryan Ludwick flied out to center to end the inning.
Padres 2, Red Sox 1 Mid 2Jun 21 7:55 PM
- Jason Bartlett walk scored Cameron Maybin. Bases loaded with two outs and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 1, Red Sox 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 21 7:46 PM
- Kevin Youkilis double to center scored Adrian Gonzalez. Runner on second with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Padres 0, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 21 7:28 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 21 7:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22