Venable, Padres edge GiantsJul 5, 2011 - 2:36 AM
Clayton Richard (5-9) went five scoreless innings, allowing two hits and three walks to earn his third straight victory.
Heath Bell gave up a run in the ninth, but worked his way out of a jam to earn his 25th save of the year.
Tim Lincecum (6-7) allowed three runs on seven hits and a walk while fanning four through five innings.
"I didn't feel like I had a good rhythm. I didn't feel like I had good energy. I just felt like I was battling through every pitch," Lincecum said about his performance.
Pablo Sandoval had three of the Giants' six hits, including a two-run homer, as San Francisco lost for the fourth time in six games.
Bell allowed a leadoff double to Miguel Tejada and a one-out walk to pinch- hitter Pat Burrell to put runners at the corners. Brandon Crawford then pulled a single through the right side of the infield to plate Tejada. A wild pitch moved the runners to second and third, placing the game-tying runs in scoring position.
But Bell got out of the jam without allowing another run when he induced a flyout to shallow right field by pinch-hitter Andres Torres and a weak grounder to short by Aaron Rowand.
"They're such a great team, and we get pumped up to play a first-place team," said Bell about the Giants. "I'm glad we came out on top and I hope we do the same tomorrow."
The Padres jumped out to an early lead after Venable led off with a single, advanced to second on a passed ball, moved to third on a base hit by Jason Bartlett and came home on Chase Headley's sacrifice fly to center. Bartlett then stole second and scored when Orlando Hudson laced a single into right field, giving San Diego a two-run advantage.
Bartlett smacked a ground-rule double to start the fifth and crossed the plate two batters later on Ryan Ludwick's single up the middle, extending the Padres lead to 3-0.
The Giants got on the board in the sixth against reliever Ernesto Frieri. After Emmanuel Burriss was hit by a pitch with one out, Sandoval stepped up to the plate and hammered a 2-1 fastball that splash-landed in McCovey Cove beyond right field.
San Diego gained some cushion in the eighth after Cameron Maybin smacked a double that deflected off Sandoval's glove at third base. Javier Lopez then replaced Ramon Ramirez on the mound, and after Maybin swiped third, Lopez hit Anthony Rizzo with a pitch.
Sergio Romo took the mound next and gave up Nick Hundley's RBI single into left, but Jesus Guzman grounded into a 5-4-3 double play to end the inning.
Venable hit his second home run of the year in the ninth inning to make it a 5-2 game.
Sandoval extended his hitting streak to a career-best 15 games with a double in the first inning...Sandoval has an extra-base hit in nine straight games, tying the longest streak in the majors this season. Chicago White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko also managed the feat from May 30-June 10...Giants left fielder Cody Ross left the game in the seventh inning with a mild left hamstring strain...Bell has converted 18 consecutive save opportunities and 59 out of 60 chances dating back to last year.
- SAN DIEGO: 5
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Jul 4 8:07 PM
- With Andres Torres batting, Brandon Crawford advances to second on a Heath Bell wild pitch. Matt Cain advances to third. Runners on second and third and with one out and Andres Torres at the plate.
Padres 5, Giants 3 Bot 9, 1 OutJul 4 8:04 PM
- Will Venable lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Jason Bartlett due up.
Padres 5, Giants 2 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 4 7:47 PM
- Jesus Guzman is pinch-hitting for Chad Qualls.
Padres 4, Giants 2 Top 8, 1 OutJul 4 7:32 PM
- Pablo Sandoval one-out, two-run Home Run (8) to right scored Emmanuel Burriss. Aubrey Huff due up.
Padres 3, Giants 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 4 6:54 PM
- Ryan Ludwick single to center scored Jason Bartlett. Runner on first with one out and Orlando Hudson due up.
Padres 3, Giants 0 Top 5, 1 OutJul 4 6:29 PM
- Orlando Hudson singled to right scored Jason Bartlett. Runner on first with two outs and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 2, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 4 5:17 PM
- Chase Headley sacrifice fly to center scored Will Venable. Runner on first with one out and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Padres 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 4 5:13 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 4 5:07 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21