Zito has rare off night, Padres capitalizeJul 17, 2011 - 5:44 AM
The tables were turned Saturday night, as Jesus Guzman and Orlando Hudson belted three-run homers off Zito in a 11-3 San Diego rout, snapping the Padres' season-high seven-game skid.
Zito (3-2) came into this game unstoppable since being activated off the disabled list. The lefty was 3-0 with a 1.29 earned run average over his previous three starts since returning from a right mid-foot sprain. That included a 2-1 victory on July 7 against Luebke and the Padres, but this time around he was pounded for seven hits and eight runs over 3 2/3 innings.
"For the most part, the curveball didn't have the finish down, the changeup either," Zito said. "The pitches they hit out, cutter and changeup, they just didn't have that late movement."
The last time Zito gave up this many earned runs came nearly two years ago when he surrendered nine to the Padres on July 12, 2009. The most recent performance dropped him to 4-9 lifetime against the Friars.
Guzman, who made his major league debut playing for the Giants in 2009, added a run-scoring single for a four-RBI night. Rob Johnson singled in two runs, while Jason Bartlett totaled three hits and three runs scored.
Luebke (3-3) was charged with two runs on four hits and had five strikeouts in seven innings. He received plenty of support from a team that finally broke out offensively. San Diego totaled just five runs over its last six games.
"Hitting is contagious," Hudson said. "We got runs early. Luebke, young buck, settled in, threw his fastball and sliders for strikes. He was on top of his game. Things haven't been all glory for us, but we're still battling."
Miguel Tejada homered for the NL West leaders, who had won their previous four games.
Zito was off the mark from the start, walking both Bartlett and Ryan Ludwick in the first inning. Guzman struck a 2-1 pitch with two outs over the wall in left for his second career homer.
The Padres broke it open in the third. Zito was late covering first, resulting in a hit for Bartlett, who stole second. Chris Denorfia walked, and with two outs Guzman singled to left. Hudson followed with a homer to left field for a 7-0 cushion.
Pablo Sandoval, who had his career-high 22-game hitting streak snapped Friday, tripled leading off the fourth and scored on a Cody Ross sacrifice fly.
Cameron Maybin came home on a single by Denorfia in the fourth, finally ending Zito's night as he was pulled in favor of Guillermo Mota.
Tejada homered in the sixth before the Padres added a pair of runs in the seventh, one on an error from shortstop Brandon Crawford. He couldn't handle a bases-loaded grounder off the bat of Alberto Gonzalez. Johnson then singled to center.
Pinch-hitter Mike Fontenot hit an RBI double off Luke Gregerson in the ninth.
Before the game, the Padres recalled infielder Logan Forsythe from Triple-A Tucson and have optioned catcher Luis Martinez to the same minor league team...Prior to Saturday, the Padres hadn't connected for two-or-more homers in any game since cracking two in back-to-back road games May 11 at Milwaukee and May 13 at Colorado...The Giants are 46-13 when scoring at least three runs this season.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 3
SAN DIEGO: 11
Jul 16 11:25 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mike Fontenot double to right scored Chris Stewart with two out. Runner on second and Hector Sanchez due up.
Giants 3, Padres 11 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 16 11:24 PM
- Rob Johnson single to center scored Chris Denorfia and Orlando Hudson with two out. On the play, Alberto Gonzalez advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Cory Luebke due up.
Giants 2, Padres 11 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 16 10:53 PM
- Alberto Gonzalez reached first on Brandon Crawford's fielding error, scoring Jason Bartlett with two out. On the play, Orlando Hudson advanced to second and Chris Denorfia advanced to third. Bases loaded and Rob Johnson due up.
Giants 2, Padres 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 16 10:52 PM
- Miguel Tejada one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left center. Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 2, Padres 8 Top 6, 1 OutJul 16 10:14 PM
- Chris Denorfia single to right scored Cameron Maybin with two out. Runner on first and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Giants 1, Padres 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 16 9:53 PM
- Cody Ross sacrifice fly to right scored Pablo Sandoval with one out. None on and Nate Schierholtz due up.
Giants 1, Padres 7 Top 4, 1 OutJul 16 9:42 PM
- Orlando Hudson two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Chris Denorfia and Jesus Guzman. Alberto Gonzalez due up.
Giants 0, Padres 7 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 16 9:33 PM
- Jesus Guzman single to left scored Jason Bartlett with two out. On the play, Chris Denorfia advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Orlando Hudson due up.
Giants 0, Padres 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 16 9:32 PM
- Orlando Hudson grounded out pitcher to first to end the inning.
Giants 0, Padres 3 End 1Jul 16 8:57 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 16 8:36 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21