Headley, Padres slam struggling PiratesAug 6, 2011 - 4:42 AM
After the Pirates beat the Braves by a 3-1 score on July 25, the two teams engaged in a 19-inning bout that saw the Braves win on a questionable call at the plate.
That has sparked the Pirates' current woes as the team has won just once in their past 11 games. They have dropped a season-high eight straight and have given up 14 home runs in their past four games.
The downturn has seen the team fall well out of first place in the NL Central after a couple of stints in the top spot in July. Also, the team is now three games under .500.
Jesus Guzman, Kyle Blanks and Aaron Cunningham all hit home runs while Will Venable went 3-for-5 with two RBI and two runs scored for the Padres, who have won two straight. Aaron Harang (10-3) benefited from the run support. He got the win despite giving up 13 hits and four runs over five innings.
"Everybody contributed tonight, even the bench players," said San Diego manager Bud Black. "The guys had a good game and it was a good win to start out the series."
It was a season-high in runs for the Padres as they topped their 14-run mark set on July 20 against Florida.
Ryan Ludwick was 4-for-4 with an RBI against his former team while Ryan Doumit added a solo home run for Pittsburgh. Jeff Karstens (8-6) had his shortest outing of the season as he was tagged for nine runs on nine hits over just 3 1/3 innings.
"We're hanging breaking balls and elevating fastballs too much," said Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle. "And it's not just one pitcher, it's hurting everyone."
The Pirates got RBI singles from Neil Walker and Ludwick in the first inning for an early 2-0 lead, but the Padres got both of those runs back in the second as Venable punched an RBI single to right and Martinez drove home a run later in the inning with a groundout.
Ronny Cedeno singled home Xavier Paul in the bottom of the second while Headley brought home Cameron Maybin in the top of the third to again tie the game.
Doumit hit a solo home run to right in the bottom of the third to give the Pirates a 4-3 lead, but it would prove fleeting.
The Padres quickly tied the game as Venable led off with a walk, moved to second on a Blanks single and came home when Martinez singled.
After Maybin singled to load the bases, Bartlett drew a walk to put the Padres on top. Headley then added to that in a big way when he hit the first pitch he saw over the center field wall for a 9-4 lead.
Blanks added a solo home run, his first of the season, off the left field foul pole in the fifth.
The Padres got three more in the seventh. Orlando Hudson led off with a walk and scored when Venable followed with a triple. A Martinez groundout later in the inning brought home Venable and Cunningham added a pinch-hit home run, the first homer of his career, for a 13-4 lead.
Garrett Jones drew a bases-loaded walk to force home a run in the seventh for the Pirates, but Guzman blasted a two-run home run in the eighth for a 15-5 lead.
Ludwick was acquired by the Pirates from San Diego at Sunday's trading deadline for a player to be named later...It was the most runs the Pirates gave up in a game this season...Every Padre starter, including the pitcher, scored a run in the game...Pirate center fielder Andrew McCutchen, who went 1-for-4 with a run scored, has reached base safely in 32 of his last 33 games...Before the game, the Padres reinstated pitcher Joe Thatcher from the 60-day disabled list and he pitched a scoreless inning in the game. He had been sidelined all season as he began the campaign on 15-day DL, then was put on the 60-day DL after shoulder surgery on May 2. To make room on the roster, the team optioned outfielder Blake Tekotte to San Antonio of the Texas League.
- SAN DIEGO: 15
Aug 5 10:39 PM
- Jesus Guzman none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Chase Headley. Orlando Hudson due up.
Padres 15, Pirates 5 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 5 10:00 PM
- Neil Walker grounded out pitcher to first to end the inning.
Padres 13, Pirates 5 End 7Aug 5 9:56 PM
- Ronny Cedeno singled to center. Runner on first with two outs and Jason Grilli due up.
Padres 13, Pirates 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 5 9:42 PM
- Luis Martinez grounded out short to first scored Will Venable. None on with two outs and Joe Thatcher due up.
Padres 12, Pirates 4 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 5 9:30 PM
- Kyle Blanks struck out swinging. Runner on third with one out and Luis Martinez due up.
Padres 11, Pirates 4 Top 7, 1 OutAug 5 9:29 PM
- Ryan Doumit singled to left. Runner on first with none out and Xavier Paul due up.
Padres 10, Pirates 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 5 8:48 PM
- Orlando Hudson struck out swinging to end the inning.
Padres 9, Pirates 4 Mid 4Aug 5 8:26 PM
- Luis Martinez singled to right scored Will Venable. On the play, Kyle Blanks advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Aaron Harang due up.
Padres 4, Pirates 4 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 5 8:12 PM
- Xavier Paul doubled to right. Runner on second with two outs and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Padres 3, Pirates 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 5 8:04 PM
- Chase Headley grounded out second to first scored Cameron Maybin. None on with two outs and Jesus Guzman due up.
Padres 3, Pirates 3 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 5 7:53 PM
- Andrew McCutchen flied out to right. On the play, Ronny Cedeno advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Garrett Jones due up.
Padres 2, Pirates 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 5 7:41 PM
- Aaron Harang flied out to left to end the inning.
Padres 2, Pirates 2 Mid 2Aug 5 7:31 PM
- Will Venable singled to right scored Jesus Guzman. On the play, Orlando Hudson advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Kyle Blanks due up.
Padres 1, Pirates 2 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 5 7:26 PM
- Ryan Ludwick singled to left scored Garrett Jones. On the play, Neil Walker advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Padres 0, Pirates 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 5 7:17 PM
- Neil Walker singled to short scored Andrew McCutchen. On the play, Garrett Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Padres 0, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 5 7:16 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 5 7:06 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21