White Sox defeat Rangers on wild pitchMay 18, 2011 - 7:35 AM
Brent Morel hit a three-run home run while Jesse Crain (1-1) got the win for throwing 1 2/3 scoreless innings for the White Sox, who have won four of six. John Danks went 6 1/3 innings in the start and gave up three runs -- two earned -- on four hits with six walks and two strikeouts.
Endy Chavez went 2-for-4 with a run scored while Yorvit Torrealba drove in a run for the Rangers, who had won four of five coming into the game. Matt Harrison went seven innings and gave up three runs on three hits with four walks and six strikeouts.
In the eighth with the score tied, Beckham drew a leadoff walk off of Cody Eppley (1-1). After Brent Morel struck out, Dallas McPherson hit a single that saw Beckham move to third.
Then, the wild pitch from Eppley saw Beckham come home for the 4-3 lead. Rangers manager Ron Washington said Torrealba, the catcher, was looking for a slider.
"Then he yanks it on you and you just don't have time to react," said Washington. "That's what happened."
Sergio Santos threw a 1-2-3 ninth to pick up his sixth save of the season.
Texas worked a run across in the first as Chavez led off with a walk, moved to third on an Elvis Andrus single and came home when Ian Kinsler hit into a double play.
The Rangers made it a 2-0 game in the second as, with the bases loaded, Chavez reached base on an error by Alexei Ramirez that scored Mike Napoli.
It was 3-0 in the fourth after Torrealba's sac fly plated David Murphy, who led off with a walk and moved to third on a Napoli single.
The White Sox, though, tied it in the sixth on Morel's three-run blast over the wall in left-center, his first of the season.
"Danks was struggling a little. Luckily I got a good pitch there and put a good swing on it," said Morel.
Texas first baseman Michael Young singled in the eighth to extend his road hitting streak to 17 games...Each team won four games in the series last season...Chicago hosts Cleveland for two games starting on Wednesday...The Rangers play in Kansas City for two games beginning on Wednesday.
- TEXAS: 3
May 17 10:46 PM
- With Alexei Ramirez batting, wild pitch by Cody Eppley scored Gordon Beckham with one out. Juan Pierre advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Alexei Ramirez at the plate.
Rangers 3, White Sox 4 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 17 10:31 PM
- Brent Morel two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left center scored A.J. Pierzynski and Alex Rios. Brent Lillibridge due up.
Rangers 3, White Sox 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 17 9:40 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba sacrifice fly out to left scored David Murphy with one out. Runner on first with one out and Craig Gentry due up.
Rangers 3, White Sox 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 17 9:16 PM
- Endy Chavez reached first on Alexei Ramirez's fielding error scoring Mike Napoli with two out. On the play, Craig Gentry advances to second and Yorvit Torrealba advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 2, White Sox 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 17 8:47 PM
- Michael Young struck out swinging to end the inning.
Rangers 1, White Sox 0 Mid 1May 17 8:22 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 17 8:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22