Quentin's 3 HRs help White Sox beat RangersMay 25, 2011 - 6:55 AM
The game was delayed 2:58 by inclement weather between the top and bottom of the fourth inning.
Tony Pena (1-1) earned the win despite allowing two runs on three hits in one full inning of relief. It was Chicago's sixth win in the last eight games.
Brett Tomko (0-1) suffered the loss by allowing two runs on three hits and two walks in two innings of work as the Rangers had their two-game win streak halted.
Jake Peavy allowed two runs on five hits and a walk in three innings for Chicago, and Derek Holland allowed four runs on four hits and a walk in four innings for Texas.
Quentin hit a solo shot in the first to give Chicago a quick one-run lead.
The lead didn't last long, as Ian Kinsler worked a walk to lead off the bottom half of the inning -- Peavy's first allowed walk of the year -- moved to second on a groundout by Elvis Andrus and came home on a Josh Hamilton single to knot the game at one.
Brent Morel was hit by a pitch to lead off the third and Juan Pierre followed with a bunt single. Two-batters later, Quentin hit his second homer in as many at-bats to give Chicago a 4-1 lead.
Texas answered back in the bottom half of the inning with a sacrifice fly by Michael Young to score Andrus.
The Rangers tied the game at four in the fifth inning on an RBI double by Andrus and a sacrifice fly by Young.
The back-and-forth continued when Adam Dunn led off the sixth with a bomb into the upper deck in right field. Morel then knocked in Alex Rios four batters later to put the White Sox up by two.
Texas made it a one-run game in the bottom of the sixth on a base-hit by Mitch Moreland that plated Yorvit Torrealba.
Chicago increased their lead to two again in the seventh when Rios hit a two- out double that brought home Paul Konerko and made the score 7-5.
Texas put men on the corners with no outs in the eighth and Andrus grounded into a run-scoring double-play that put the Rangers within a run again. Hamilton then hit an infield single before Sergio Santos entered the game for the White Sox.
Hamilton stole second and also swiped third during a walk by Young, but Adrian Beltre lined out to right to end the inning.
Quentin went deep for a third time in the ninth to give him his first career three home run game.
Santos came back to pitch the ninth and threw a 1-2-3 inning to end the game and earn the four-out save, his seventh of the season.
With his seventh steal of the season, Pierre tied Herman Long for 29th all- time with 534...Both teams combined to use 13 pitchers...Quentin is the first White Sox player to hit three home runs in a game since Konerko did it on July 7, 2009.
- CHICAGO: 8
May 25 2:27 AM
- Carlos Quentin one-out, solo Home Run 3 (12) to left. Paul Konerko due up.
White Sox 8, Rangers 6 Top 9, 1 OutMay 25 2:16 AM
- Elvis Andrus grounded into a double play, short to second to first scored Mitch Moreland. Ian Kinsler out at second. None on with two outs and Josh Hamilton due up.
White Sox 7, Rangers 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 25 1:59 AM
- Alex Rios doubled to center scored Paul Konerko with two out. On the play, Adam Dunn advances to third. Runners on second and third with A.J. Pierzynski due up.
White Sox 7, Rangers 5 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 25 1:30 AM
- Mitch Moreland singled to right scored Yorvit Torrealba with one out. Runner on first and Ian Kinsler due up.
White Sox 6, Rangers 5 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 25 1:08 AM
- Brent Morel singled to left scored Alex Rios. On the play, A.J. Pierzynski advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Juan Pierre due up.
White Sox 6, Rangers 4 Top 6, 1 OutMay 25 12:55 AM
- Adam Dunn lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 5, Rangers 4 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 25 12:49 AM
- Michael Young sacrifice fly out to right scored Elvis Andrus. None on with two outs and Adrian Beltre due up.
White Sox 4, Rangers 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 25 12:44 AM
- Elvis Andrus doubled to right scored Ian Kinsler.. Runner on second with none out and Josh Hamilton due up.
White Sox 4, Rangers 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 25 12:42 AM
- Michael Young sacrifice fly out to right scored Elvis Andrus. Runner on first with one out and Adrian Beltre due up.
White Sox 4, Rangers 2 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 24 9:05 PM
- Paul Konerko grounded out second to first. None on with two outs and Adam Dunn due up.
White Sox 4, Rangers 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 24 8:53 PM
- Michael Young grounded out short to first. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Adrian Beltre due up.
White Sox 1, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 24 8:24 PM
- Carlos Quentin two-out, solo Home Run (10) to left. Paul Konerko due up.
White Sox 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 24 8:11 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 24 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22