A's rally in ninth to top White SoxJun 11, 2011 - 5:28 AM
Down by one with the bases loaded in the ninth, Scott Sizemore ripped a base- clearing, two-out double to help erase Oakland's 10-game losing streak and give Melvin his first win since replacing manager Bob Geren, who was fired on Thursday.
"You lose how many in a row that we did, yet there was still that fight. During streaks like that, you go down easy at the end. And that just wasn't the case. That's always the sign that you'll going to come out of it," Melvin said.
Chicago closer Sergio Santos (2-3) came into the game in the ninth with a two- run lead and got two quick outs before losing his control. He ended up walking three batters, hitting a batter and yielding two hits for four runs in less than an inning.
"(Santos) just lost it. He tried to be too aggressive," said Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen.
Up 5-3, Santos was cruising after fanning Cliff Pennington to strike out and forcing a Conor Jackson flyout. However, he lost his ability to find the strike zone, walking Josh Willingham, who advanced to second on a defensive indifference and scored on Hideki Matsui's single to make it a 5-4 contest.
The closer then walked Daric Barton and plunked Kurt Suzuki to load the bases. Sizemore, who finished 3-for-4 at the plate, ripped a double into the left- center gap that sent all three runners home for a 7-5 lead.
Andrew Bailey came in during the bottom of the ninth to shut out the White Sox and hand them their second loss in five games. He pitched a 1-2-3 inning to get his first save of the season while Grant Balfour (4-1) got the surprising win after throwing a perfect eighth inning.
During Oakland's first turn at the plate, Pennington had a one-out double and moved to third on Ryan Sweeney's groundout before scoring off of Willingham's single through the left side.
However, Chicago answered back during the home half with a Paul Konerko two- run homer off of rookie starter Graham Godfrey. The starter was called up from Triple-A Sacramento before the game for his first major league appearance, which was less than memorable as he allowed five runs on nine hits over 4 1/3 innings.
The A's knotted it up at two apiece in the third after Jemile Weeks ripped a leadoff triple and crossed home on Pennington's infield single.
The White Sox used a three-run fifth to take control of the game. Alexei Ramirez lead off with a double and scored on Carlos Quentin's single.
Later in the inning with runners on second and third, Alex Rios grounded to short but not before plating a run and then Adam Dunn singled in A.J. Pierzynski for a 5-2 lead.
The A's cut into the deficit in the seventh when Coco Crisp singled, moved to third on Pennington's double and scored on Jackson's grounder to second.
The A's made several roster moves before the game: optioned pitcher Bobby Cramer and third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff was outrighted to Sacramento...Oakland Athletics minor leaguers David Mota and Wilfrido Sosa have been suspended 25 games each for violations of baseball's drug prevention and treatment program...The season series is tied at four games apiece...Oakland was 5-for-17 with runners in scoring position and left 12 runners on base...Chicago starter Edwin Jackson was lined up to win the game after pitching six innings and yielding two runs on eight hits.
- OAKLAND: 7
Jun 10 11:21 PM
- Scott Sizemore double to center scored pinch-runner David DeJesus, Daric Barton and Kurt Suzuki with two out. Runner on second and Jemile Weeks due up.
Athletics 7, White Sox 5 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 10 11:07 PM
- Hideki Matsui single to center scored Josh Willingham with two out. Runner on first and Daric Barton due up.
Athletics 4, White Sox 5 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 10 10:58 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Conor Jackson ground out second to first scored Coco Crisp with one out. Runner on second and Josh Willingham due up.
Athletics 3, White Sox 5 Top 7, 1 OutJun 10 10:16 PM
- Gordon Beckham struck out swinging, catcher to first to end the inning.
Athletics 2, White Sox 5 End 5Jun 10 9:52 PM
- Alex Rios ground out short to first scored Carlos Quentin with two out. On the play, A.J. Pierzynski advances to third. Runner on third and Adam Dunn due up.
Athletics 2, White Sox 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 10 9:48 PM
- Carlos Quentin infield single to third. On the play, Alexei Ramirez scored on Scott Sizemore's throwing error with none out. Runner on first and Paul Konerko due up.
Athletics 2, White Sox 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 10 9:41 PM
- Cliff Pennington infield single to second scored Jemile Weeks with one out. Runner on first and Ryan Sweeney due up.
Athletics 2, White Sox 2 Top 3, 1 OutJun 10 8:58 PM
- Paul Konerko two-out, two-run Home Run (16) to left scored Carlos Quentin. A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Athletics 1, White Sox 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 10 8:27 PM
- Josh Willingham single to left scored Cliff Pennington with two out. Runner on first and Hideki Matsui due up.
Athletics 1, White Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 10 8:17 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 10 8:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22