Twins double up White SoxJul 10, 2011 - 11:44 PM
Swarzak (2-2) allowed one run on four hits and two walks while striking out five over six frames.
Matt Capps worked a scoreless ninth to earn his 15th save of the season.
Jason Repko went 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI and Alexi Casilla went 2- for-5 with and scored a pair of runs for the Twins, who have won six of eight.
Jake Peavy (4-3) was roughed up for five runs on 10 hits in just 4 1/3 innings.
"The last few starts have been a battle," said Peavy.
The White Sox, losers of six of eight, saw Gordon Beckham go 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI.
After stranding runners at the corners in the third, the Twins cashed in an inning later, as Rene Tosoni and Tsuyoshi Nishioka worked two-out walks and Drew Butera singled to score Tosoni. Repko followed with a double to left, which plated Nishioka.
Casilla and Joe Mauer began the fifth with back-to-back singles to again place runners at the corners. Michael Cuddyer's sacrifice fly brought home Casilla and Mauer scored behind consecutive singles from Danny Valencia and Tosoni.
Peavy was relieved by Will Ohman, who induced Nishioka into a 4-3-6 double play, but Valencia crossed the plate before Alexei Ramirez applied the tag at second, as the Twins took a 5-0 lead.
The White Sox, who earned a 4-3 comeback win on Saturday, began chipping away in the sixth, as Juan Pierre reached on a bunt single, advanced to second on Ramirez's ground out and scored on Paul Konerko's single up the middle.
Alex Burnett spelled Swarzak to begin the eighth and allowed a leadoff walk to Alex Rios. A.J. Pierzynski followed with a double to score Rios.
Beckham then ripped a ball down the left field line, to push across Pierzynski, but had to halt at second as a foolish fan reached over the railing and snared the ball, which appeared destined for the corner.
Burnett struck out Mark Teahen before being replaced by Glen Perkins, who induced Pierre into a fly out and struck out Ramirez to end the threat.
Casilla tripled with two-down in the ninth and scored on a wild pitch by Sergio Santos.
Entering the All-Star break, the White Sox, at 44-48, sit in third place in the AL Central -- five games behind division-leading Detroit.
At 41-48, the Twins find themselves in fourth place -- 6.5 games off the pace.
"It's just the nature of this division, everybody beats everybody up," said Cuddyer. "When it's all said and done, hopefully we are where we set out to be."
Prior to the game, the White Sox placed catcher Ramon Castro on the 15-day disabled list. On Saturday, he broke his right hand and index finger on a passed ball...Jim Thome was held out of the lineup due to a sprained left big toe. He remains five home runs away from 600 in his career...The Twins are 7-1 against the White Sox this season...The White Sox enter the All-Star break under .500 for the first time since 2007...Peavy recorded his 1,500th career strikeout.
- MINNESOTA: 6
Jul 10 5:11 PM
- Sergio Santos wild pitch scored Alexi Casilla. Runner on second with two outs and Michael Cuddyer at the plate.
Twins 6, White Sox 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 10 5:03 PM
- Mark Teahen struck out swinging. Runner on second with one out and Juan Pierre due up.
Twins 5, White Sox 3 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 10 4:29 PM
- Paul Konerko single to center scored Juan Pierre with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Adam Dunn due up.
Twins 5, White Sox 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 10 3:58 PM
- Tsuyoshi Nishioka groundout to second scored Danny Valencia with two out, on the play, Rene Tosoni was thrown out at third to end the inning.
Twins 5, White Sox 0 Mid 5Jul 10 3:36 PM
- Rene Tosoni single to left scored Joe Mauer with one out. On the play, Danny Valencia advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Tsuyoshi Nishioka due up.
Twins 4, White Sox 0 Top 5, 1 OutJul 10 3:32 PM
- Michael Cuddyer sacrifice fly to left scored Alexi Casilla with one out. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 3, White Sox 0 Top 5, 1 OutJul 10 3:26 PM
- Jason Repko double to left scored Tsuyoshi Nishioka with two out. On the play, Drew Butera advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Ben Revere due up.
Twins 2, White Sox 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 10 3:11 PM
- Drew Butera single to center scored Rene Tosoni with two out. On the play, Tsuyoshi Nishioka advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jason Repko due up.
Twins 1, White Sox 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 10 3:08 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 10 2:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22