Twins hold off ChiSox, avoid sweepSep 8, 2011 - 5:08 AM
Carl Pavano (8-11) gave up three runs -- one earned -- on 10 hits over 5 1/3 innings for the Twins, who snapped a five-game skid.
Paul Konerko went 3-for-4 with an RBI and run scored for the White Sox, who were looking for their first four-game sweep against Minnesota since 2008. A.J. Pierzynski, Juan Pierre and Alex Rios each had an RBI.
John Danks (6-11) allowed five runs -- four earned -- on six hits over six innings to take the loss. He struck out four and walked two for Chicago, which sits nine games back of the Tigers in the AL Central standings.
The Twins scored four runs in the third inning. Drew Butera walked, Ben Revere singled and Joe Mauer was hit by a pitch to load the bases with two outs. Valencia knocked in two runs with a single to right. Parmelee followed with a two-run double to center for a 4-0 lead.
"I had two strikes on me, so I was just looking for something up and over the plate," Parmelee said. "I just got a good pitch, took a good swing on it and a good thing happened."
Chicago got two runs back in the fifth. Pierre reached base on first baseman Parmelee's fielding error, moved to second on Alexei Ramirez's groundout and scored on Konerko's base hit to center. Pierzynski's double put men on second and third. Rios' sacrifice fly cut the gap to 4-2.
The White Sox tacked on another run in the sixth. Omar Vizquel reached base when he grounded into a fielder's choice, advanced to second on Brent Morel's single and crossed the plate on Pierre's double to right. Alex Burnett took over on the mound for Pavano and loaded the bases with two outs. Jose Mijares got Pierzynski to ground into a fielder's choice to keep it a 4-3 game.
Minnesota got the run back in the home sixth. Luke Hughes worked a one-out walk. After Joe Benson flied out, Danks attempted to pick off Hughes at first. Hughes started to sprint to second and first baseman Konerko's throw was way off the mark. The ball rolled into left field, which allowed Hughes to score all the way from first.
"I don't think we lost, I think we just gave this game away," White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. "There's no doubt in my mind we just gave it away. We had a lot of chances, [but] we couldn't get the hits."
Chicago made it a one-run contest again the eighth. Glen Perkins walked Pierre to start the frame. Pierre went to third on Ramirez's double and scored on Pierzynski's groundout. Rios struck out looking to keep it a 5-4 game.
Joe Nathan tossed a perfect ninth for his 13th save of the season.
The Twins and White Sox split 18 games this season...Danks fell to 6-9 lifetime against Minnesota...Pavano improved to 9-4 in his career against the White Sox...Chicago went 3-4 on a seven-game road trip...The White Sox have never swept a four-game series in Minnesota...Chicago's six-game winning streak in Minnesota came to an end...Pierre needs one more hit to become the 14th player to record his 2,000th career hit in a White Sox uniform.
- CHICAGO: 4
Sep 7 10:56 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski ground out second to first scored Juan Pierre with two out. On the play, Alexei Ramirez advances to third. Runner on third and Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 5 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 7 10:37 PM
- Luke Hughes stole second. On the play, Luke Hughes scored on Paul Konerko's throwing error. None on and Jason Repko at the plate.
White Sox 3, Twins 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 7 10:08 PM
- Juan Pierre double to right scored Omar Vizquel with one out. On the play, Brent Morel advances to third. Runners on second and third and Alexei Ramirez due up.
White Sox 3, Twins 4 Top 6, 1 OutSep 7 9:49 PM
- Alex Rios sacrifice fly to center scored Paul Konerko with two out. Runner on second and Alejandro De Aza due up.
White Sox 2, Twins 4 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 7 9:32 PM
- Paul Konerko single to center scored Juan Pierre with one out. Runner on first and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
White Sox 1, Twins 4 Top 5, 1 OutSep 7 9:29 PM
- Chris Parmelee double to center scored Joe Mauer and Danny Valencia with two out. Runner on second and Luke Hughes due up.
White Sox 0, Twins 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 7 9:04 PM
- Danny Valencia single to right scored Drew Butera and Ben Revere with two out. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Parmelee due up.
White Sox 0, Twins 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 7 9:00 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 7 8:13 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22