Oakland gets past Texas againMay 2, 2011 - 1:46 AM
Gio Gonzalez (3-2) threw 6 2/3 innings, allowing two runs on five hits and two walks for the win. He also struck out seven in Oakland's third victory in the last four games.
"He was pretty much in command and had a great breaking ball," A's manager Bob Geren said of Gonzalez.
Starter Matt Harrison (3-3) was touched up for four runs in only 1 2/3 innings for Texas. He allowed six hits and two walks while fanning one to give the Rangers their fifth loss in their last seven games.
Oakland jumped on Texas early with a three-run first inning. Coco Crisp led off with a double and was followed by a Daric Barton walk before Jackson doubled to bring them both home. Two batters later, Suzuki singled to score Jackson.
The A's added another in the second on a Crisp single that plated Andy LaRoche for an early 4-0 lead.
"I just need to go back and keep it simple," Harrison said. "Don't think about too much or dwell on what's happened the past two starts. I need to go back to where I was in Spring Training and trust my stuff. I'm not trusting my stuff."
The onslaught continued in the third against reliever Dave Bush when Hideki Matsui doubled to score Suzuki. Oakland added another run in the inning on Cliff Pennington's RBI single that scored Matsui --- his 1,500th career run scored, combined with the Yomiuri Giants in Japan, Yankees, Angels, and A's -- to give Oakland a six-run advantage.
Texas got on the board in the sixth after Elvis Andrus led off the inning with a double, moved to third on a wild pitch, and was brought home on Michael Young's single.
The Rangers added another in the seventh when Ian Kinsler doubled to score Yorvit Torrealba, who worked a two-out walk and moved to second when Mitch Moreland was hit by a pitch.
Suzuki's RBI single in the home seventh made it a 7-2 game.
Oakland reliever's Grant Balfour, Craig Breslow and Brian Fuentes combined to get the final six outs.
Gonzalez has now faced the Rangers nine times (seven starts) and is 4-1 against them...Oakland is 8-3 in day games this season...Andrus extended his hit streak to seven games...Harrison was pulled after throwing 49 pitches.
- TEXAS: 2
May 1 7:09 PM
- Kurt Suzuki single to center scored Josh Willingham. Runner on first with two outs and Hideki Matsui due up.
Rangers 2, Athletics 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 1 6:29 PM
- Ian Kinsler double to center scored Yorvit Torrealba. Runners on second and third with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 2, Athletics 6 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 1 6:16 PM
- Adrian Beltre flied out to center. Runner on first with one out and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 1, Athletics 6 Top 6, 1 OutMay 1 5:53 PM
- Cliff Pennington single to center scored Hideki Matsui. Runners on first and second with one out and Coco Crisp due up.
Rangers 0, Athletics 6 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 1 5:14 PM
- Hideki Matsui double to left scored Kurt Suzuki. Runner on second with none out and Mark Ellis due up.
Rangers 0, Athletics 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 1 5:10 PM
- Coco Crisp single to left scored Andy LaRoche. Runner on first with two outs and Daric Barton due up.
Rangers 0, Athletics 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 1 4:45 PM
- Kurt Suzuki single to left scored Conor Jackson. Runner on first with one out and Hideki Matsui due up.
Rangers 0, Athletics 3 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 1 4:28 PM
- Conor Jackson double to right scored Coco Crisp and Daric Barton. Runner on second with none out and Josh Willingham due up.
Rangers 0, Athletics 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 1 4:22 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 1 4:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22