Matsui's homer lifts A's over Rangers in extrasMay 3, 2011 - 1:49 AM
Matsui finished with two runs batted in and Josh Willingham went 2-for-4 with a solo shot for the Athletics, who won three games in the series. Kurt Suzuki added a solo homer.
"That's a great ball team over there," Suzuki said. "They got good pitching and everyone knows about their hitting. You have to try and contain their offense a little bit and you got to go out there and score runs to beat those guys."
Starter Brandon McCarthy worked six innings, allowing four unearned runs on six hits with two walks and four strikeouts. He also committed two errors in taking a no-decision.
Michael Young had a two-run double and knocked in three for Texas, which has dropped six of eight.
"We're going to keep battling," Rangers manager Ron Washington said about the team's struggles. "Sometimes you get tested and we're being tested, and I expect us to fight through this and come out on the other side."
Derek Holland got the starting nod for the Rangers and yielded three runs -- two earned -- on eight hits over seven innings. The left-hander walked a pair and fanned four.
With Oakland trailing, 4-3, Willingham led off the eighth with a solo homer to left off Arthur Rhodes that evened the game.
Texas went quietly in the top of the ninth and the Athletics had a threat turned aside in the home half, forcing the game into extra innings.
Grant Balfour (2-1) stranded the bases loaded when he struck out pinch-hitter Yorvit Torrealba in the top of the 10th and Matsui hammered a first-pitch fastball by Darren Oliver (1-3) over the wall in right in the bottom half that ended the game.
Cliff Pennington's run-scoring bunt single in the second gave the A's an early lead.
Young's two-run double to left in the third put the Rangers in front, but Suzuki tied it at 2-2 with a solo homer just inside the left-field foul pole in the fourth.
The back-and-forth battled continued in the fifth when Texas answered with a pair to go back in front. With the bases loaded and nobody out, consecutive sacrifice flies by Young and Adrian Beltre made it a 4-2 game.
The Athletics got a run back in the home fifth on Matsui's RBI groundout.
Texas held a 10-9 edge in the 2010 season series with Oakland...The Athletics stranded nine runners on base, while the Rangers left 10.
- TEXAS: 4
May 2 6:46 PM
- Hideki Matsui lead-off Home Run (3) to right to win the game.
Rangers 4, Athletics 5 Bot 10, 0 OutsMay 2 6:45 PM
- Josh Willingham lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Hideki Matsui due up.
Rangers 4, Athletics 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 2 5:56 PM
- Hideki Matsui grounded out third to first scoring Daric Barton with two out. Runner on second and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Rangers 4, Athletics 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 2 5:06 PM
- Adrian Beltre sacrifice fly to right scored Elvis Andrus with two out. Runner on third and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 4, Athletics 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 2 4:56 PM
- Michael Young sacrifice fly to right in foul territory scored Julio Borbon with one out. Runners on second and third and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 3, Athletics 2 Top 5, 1 OutMay 2 4:55 PM
- Kurt Suzuki lead-off Home Run (3) to left. David DeJesus due up.
Rangers 2, Athletics 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 2 4:37 PM
- Michael Young doubled to left scoring Julio Borbon and Mitch Moreland with two out. Runner on second and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 2, Athletics 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 2 4:19 PM
- Cliff Pennington bunt single to the pitcher scored David DeJesus with one out. Runners on first and second and Mark Ellis due up.
Rangers 0, Athletics 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 2 4:06 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 2 3:37 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22