Rangers hang on to defeat YankeesMay 8, 2011 - 5:35 AM
Young finished 4-for-4 for the Rangers, who dropped the opener of this three- game series, 4-1, on Friday. Texas won for just the third time in its last 10 games.
Julio Borbon drove in three Texas runs, while Mitch Moreland collected three hits and scored twice.
"We hit early and swung the bat and we're able to get things going early," said Borbon. "We lost it, but we kept our head in the game and kept fighting cause we knew we we're going to put more runs on the board."
Rangers starter Derek Holland gave up four runs on four hits and walked five in three-plus innings. Brett Tomko followed Holland and yielded one hit -- a solo home run by Nick Swisher -- over 2 1/3 frames. Arthur Rhodes (1-1) recorded the final two outs in the sixth to earn the win.
Robinson Cano hit a three-run triple for New York, which has lost four of five.
"We're not getting a whole lot of hits on this trip," said New York manager Joe Girardi. "We had five runs tonight and most nights that's going to be enough to win, but tonight it wasn't."
Despite the loss, Derek Jeter set a major league record for the most games played at shortstop for one team on Saturday. Jeter played in his 2,303rd game at shortstop, passing Baltimore's Cal Ripken.
Bartolo Colon was tagged for five runs on nine hits in a 4 1/3-inning start for the Yankees. Boone Logan (1-2) surrendered two runs in one inning of relief to absorb the loss.
Young homered with two gone in the first inning, then David Murphy went deep to begin a four-run second by the Rangers.
Moreland hit a one-out single and Chris Davis walked before both runners scored on a triple by Borbon. Ian Kinsler followed with a sacrifice fly for a 5-0 Texas lead.
The Yankees countered with four runs in their next at-bat. All the damage occurred after Russell Martin grounded into a double play.
Jeter doubled, Curtis Granderson walked and Mark Teixeira singled home a run. After Alex Rodriguez walked to load the bases, Cano trimmed the deficit to one run by sending Holland's next pitch to the gap in left-center for a triple.
New York tied the game on Swisher's lead off home run in the sixth, but the Rangers quickly regained the lead in the bottom of the inning.
With men on the corners, Borbon dropped a squeeze bunt to score Moreland, who led off with a double and advanced to third on a Davis single, with the go- ahead run. Young delivered a two-out RBI single later in the frame to put Texas up 7-5.
Darren Oliver replaced Rhodes and tossed two scoreless innings before a returning Neftali Feliz pitched a 1-2-3 ninth for his sixth save of the season. Feliz was reinstated from the 15-day disabled list Friday. He hadn't pitched since April 20 because of right shoulder inflammation.
The Rangers were 3-for-9 with runners in scoring position...Colon entered play with 17 career wins against Texas, the most against any team...Texas placed outfielder Nelson Cruz on the 15-day DL Saturday with a strained right quadriceps muscle and recalled outfielder Craig Gentry from Triple-A Round Rock.
- NEW YORK: 5
May 7 11:05 PM
- Michael Young single to center scored Chris Davis with two out. On the play, Elvis Andrus advance to third. Runners on first and third with Adrian Beltre due up.
Yankees 5, Rangers 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 7 10:21 PM
- David Robertson enters the game for the Yankees with a runner on second and one out.
Yankees 5, Rangers 6 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 7 10:13 PM
- Nick Swisher lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Andruw Jones due up.
Yankees 5, Rangers 5 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 7 9:56 PM
- Robinson Cano triple to center scored Curtis Granderson, Mark Teixeira and Alex Rodriguez with two out. Runner on third and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 4, Rangers 5 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 7 9:04 PM
- Mark Teixeira single to center scored Derek Jeter with two out. On the play, Curtis Granderson advanced to third. Runners on first and third with Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 1, Rangers 5 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 7 8:59 PM
- Ian Kinsler sacrifice fly to left scored Julio Borbon with two out. None on and Elvis Andrus due up.
Yankees 0, Rangers 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 7 8:39 PM
- Julio Borbon triple to right center scored Mitch Moreland and Chris Davis with one out. Runner on third and Ian Kinsler due up.
Yankees 0, Rangers 4 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 7 8:36 PM
- David Murphy lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Yankees 0, Rangers 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 7 8:30 PM
- Michael Young two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Adrian Beltre due up.
Yankees 0, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 7 8:19 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 7 8:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22