Napoli drives Rangers past RaysMay 31, 2011 - 5:37 AM
Endy Chavez went 3-for-5 with a solo homer and two RBI for the Rangers, who have won three in a row. Mitch Moreland hit a solo homer and scored three times for the victors.
"Everyone stepped up and got a hit or got on base to get us going," Moreland said.
Derek Holland (4-1) gave up five runs on five hits over 5 2/3 innings to pick up his first win since April 22. The left-hander also struck out seven and walked five for Texas, which started a seven-game road trip on Monday.
Justin Ruggiano hit a three-run homer for the Rays, who got a solo homer from Ben Zobrist.
Wade Davis (4-5) allowed a season-high seven runs on 12 hits over just 2 2/3 frames in the loss.
Tampa Bay shortstop Sean Rodriguez committed three errors in the game. The Rays did not commit two errors in a game through their first 52 games of the season, setting a major league record previously held by the 2010 Twins (first 48 games). Monday's contest was Tampa Bay's first multi-error game since October 3, 2010.
This series is a rematch of last year's American League Division Series that the Rangers won in five games.
The Rangers came out of the gates on fire, to say the least. Elvis Andrus got the game started with a double to left and scored two batters later on Josh Hamilton's double. Michael Young followed with a single to put men on the corners. Adrian Beltre knocked in Hamilton with a base hit for a 2-0 edge.
Texas tacked on five more runs in the third. Beltre and Moreland singled to put men on first and second with one out. Napoli brought home both runners with a blast over the wall in left. Chavez made it back-to-back homers with a shot over the wall in right. Andrus' second double of the game and a David Murphy's infield single put men on the corners. Hamilton plated a run with a sacrifice fly. Young then singled to chase Davis from the game. Brandon Gomes recorded the final out of the frame, but not before the Rangers took a 7-0 lead.
Moreland's solo homer to right in the fourth made it an 8-0 game, and Texas had already tied a season high in hits (15) through four innings.
"When you get off to that kind of start it really makes things more difficult," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
Tampa Bay finally got on the board in the home fourth. B.J. Upton walked, stole second, moved to third on Napoli's throwing error and scored on Matt Joyce's two-out single.
Napoli's second homer of the game in the sixth -- a solo shot to right -- made it a 9-1 contest.
The Rays used the long ball in the home sixth to make things a bit interesting. Zobrist hit a solo shot to left-center field and Ruggiano hit a three-run homer to right, cutting the gap to 9-5. Mark Lowe took over for Holland on the mound and loaded the bases with two outs. Upton went down swinging to end the inning.
Texas put a two-spot on the board in the eighth to put the game away. Napoli's RBI double and Chavez's run-scoring single gave the Rangers an 11-5 lead.
Tampa Bay won four of its six matchups with the Rangers last season....Holland improved to 3-1 lifetime against the Rays...Texas' 20 hits was a season- high...Johnny Damon of the Rays has reached base safely in 24 straight games...Hamilton went 2-for-5 with two RBI and a run scored.
- TEXAS: 11
TAMPA BAY: 5
May 30 10:24 PM
- David Murphy walked. Bases loaded with one out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 11, Rays 5 Top 8, 1 OutMay 30 9:57 PM
- Mike Napoli double to left center scored Nelson Cruz with none out. On the play, Mitch Moreland advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Endy Chavez due up.
Rangers 10, Rays 5 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 30 9:47 PM
- Justin Ruggiano two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Felipe Lopez and Kelly Shoppach. Evan Longoria due up.
Rangers 9, Rays 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 30 9:02 PM
- Ben Zobrist one-out, solo Home Run (9) to left center. Felipe Lopez due up.
Rangers 9, Rays 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 30 8:54 PM
- Endy Chavez lined out to center. None on with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 9, Rays 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 30 8:48 PM
- Matt Joyce single to right scored B.J. Upton with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Kelly Shoppach due up.
Rangers 8, Rays 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 30 8:24 PM
- Mitch Moreland one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 8, Rays 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 30 8:05 PM
- Josh Hamilton sacrifice fly to left scored Elvis Andrus with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Michael Young due up.
Rangers 7, Rays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 30 7:43 PM
- Endy Chavez one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 6, Rays 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 30 7:37 PM
- Mike Napoli one-out, three-run Home Run (9) to left scored Adrian Beltre and Mitch Moreland. Endy Chavez due up.
Rangers 5, Rays 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 30 7:36 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to left scored Josh Hamilton with one out. On the play, Michael Young advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 2, Rays 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 30 6:51 PM
- Michael Young singled to center. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 1, Rays 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 30 6:49 PM
- TEXAS: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 30 6:42 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22