Pirates use three-run eighth to beat DodgersMay 10, 2011 - 4:10 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Three consecutive RBI doubles in the eighth inning helped the Pittsburgh Pirates claim a 4-1 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the opener of a four-game set from PNC Park.
Neil Walker drove home the winning run with a double down the right field line before Lyle Overbay and Ryan Doumit followed with doubles of their own.
Jose Veras (1-1) threw a scoreless eighth to earn the win for the Pirates, who have won three straight for the first time since last September.
The Dodgers were able to place runners on first and second with one out in the top of the ninth, but Joel Hanrahan was able to hold on for his 11th save in as many tries.
Chad Billingsley (2-2) took the loss for the Dodgers after allowing three runs on seven hits in seven-plus innings of work.
With runs and baserunners at a premium, Matt Kemp was hit by a Veras offering to start the eighth. Juan Uribe followed with a line drive to left, which Jose Tabata clearly trapped in an effort to make the catch. Uribe, however, was called out and Tabata was able to double Kemp off first, ending a potential Dodgers threat.
While taking the field for the bottom of the eight, Uribe was ejected by third base umpire Mike DiMuro for arguing the call. Manager Don Mattingly, in coming to his players defense, was also tossed from the game.
"I think my only frustration, more than anything else, was when Mike [DiMuro] says that he's not 100 percent sure and I ask him to get help, ask him to check, somebody else might have seen it, and he wouldn't do that," Mattingly calmly explained after the game.
Uribe was responsible for Los Angeles' only RBI, as he squeezed a two-out single between short and third in the top of the first.
Pittsburgh starter Jeff Karstens settled down, however, allowing just one run and seven hits in 5 2/3 innings.
Garrett Jones knotted the game at one apiece in the bottom of the third, scoring Ronny Cedeno with a two-out single up the middle.
After the Pirates' outburst in the eighth, the Dodgers eventually placed runners on the corners in the top of the ninth. Aaron Miles then ripped a grounder towards third, but Pedro Alvarez dove to his right to snag the ball, then sprung to his feet and fired to first, ending the game in spectacular fashion.
"We're playing good baseball," said Walker, "and it's not just one or two guys offensively getting it done, it's not just one or two guys going out there and throwing shutouts. This is a total team effort."
Pittsburgh has now won three straight for the first time since winning five in a row from last September 17-22...The Dodgers were 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position...Billingsley was previously 4-0 against Pittsburgh in his career.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
May 9 10:02 PM
- Ryan Doumit double to right scored Lyle Overbay with none out. Runner on second with none out and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Dodgers 1, Pirates 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 9 9:44 PM
- Neil Walker double to right scored Xavier Paul with none out.. Runner on second with none out and Lyle Overbay due up.
Dodgers 1, Pirates 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 9 9:36 PM
- Garrett Jones single to center scored Ronny Cedeno with two out. On the play, Jose Tabata advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Neil Walker due up.
Dodgers 1, Pirates 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 9 8:00 PM
- Juan Uribe single to left scored Aaron Miles with two out. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 9 7:16 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 9 7:06 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21