Pirates edge Astros; Pence goes hitlessJun 15, 2011 - 5:10 AM
Karstens (4-4) gave up three hits with three strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings for the Pirates, who have won three of their last four. Andrew McCutchen extended his hitting streak to 13 games while Garret Jones had two hits and drove in the lone run of the game.
"Jeff was very, very effective again tonight. Talk about stepping on and off the gas, using his fastball in spots, mixing in his breaking ball, slider, change-up. All of his pitches were very effective," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said about Karstens.
Bud Norris (4-5) was the tough-luck loser as he gave charged with one run on six hits with two walks and nine strikeouts over seven innings for the Astros, who have dropped five of their last six games. Hunter Pence went 0-for-4 and had a career-high 23-game hitting streak snapped.
"It was a great experience and I hope some of the fans got to enjoy it a little bit. I think the challenge of every day coming in and trying to do that was pretty fun," Pence said about the end of his hit streak.
The only run of the game came in the second inning as Neil Walker led off with a single, moved to second on a wild pitch and crossed the plate when Jones singled to right.
Houston got a runner to second in the fifth on a two-out single from Brett Wallace followed by a balk from Karstens, but Chris Johnson struck out to end the frame.
Pittsburgh got its first two men on base in the sixth, but the next two struck out and Michael McKenry grounded out to kill the inning.
After Carlos Lee singled with two outs in the seventh, Chris Resop took the mound and got Jeff Keppinger to strike out.
Three pitchers combined to pitch the eighth inning for the Pirates while Joel Hanrahan worked a 1-2-3 ninth for his 18th save of the season.
Pittsburgh took two of three from Houston in Pittsburgh in early May...Charlie Morton pitches for the Pirates on Wednesday and will be opposed by J.A. Happ...Karstens has allowed just one earned run in his past 22 2/3 innings. He improved to 2-2 lifetime against Houston...Norris fell to 2-4 in his starts against the Pirates.
- PITTSBURGH: 1
Jun 14 10:50 PM
- Garrett Jones single to right scored Neil Walker with none out. Runner on first with none out and Lyle Overbay due up.
Pirates 1, Astros 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 14 8:23 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 14 8:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21