Presley shines offensively as Pirates hold off Blue JaysJun 29, 2011 - 6:57 AM
Presley, who was called up from the minors on Monday, roped a two-run blast in the third and Andrew McCutchen added a solo shot for the Pirates, who have won five of six.
Kevin Correia (10-6) allowed four runs over six innings to become the first Pittsburgh pitcher since 1993 to record 10 wins before the All-Star break.
Joel Hanrahan allowed the tying run to reach in the ninth, but settled down to record his 23rd save of the season, as the Pirates moved a half-game ahead of Cincinnati into third place in the NL Central.
Edwin Encarnacion hit two home runs for the Blue Jays and Jose Bautista, facing the Pirates for the first time since they traded him in 2008, added a two-run homer.
Jo-Jo Reyes (3-7) gave up six runs over 3 2/3 innings to suffer the loss.
With Ronny Cedeno aboard in the third, Presley lifted a 3-2 slider deep to right, registering his first major league homer and giving the Pirates and early 2-0 lead.
"I just tried to get the barrel on the ball," said Presley. "I got it in the air and it carried out."
In the home half, Encarnacion sliced into the Pirates' cushion with a one-out shot to left.
The momentum did not last long, however, as a series of Blue Jays gaffes allowed the Pirates to push four across in the fourth.
Lyle Overbay began the fourth with a single and Matt Diaz followed with a fly to right. Both Eric Thames and Corey Patterson charged hard, but the ball dropped and skipped past them, rolling all the way to the wall in right- center, as Overbay crossed the plate and Diaz walked into third with a triple. Garrett Jones then slapped a grounder towards first. Adam Lind fielded the ball, but Reyes failed to cover first, as Jones reached safely and Diaz scored.
Cedeno and Presley then sandwiched a pair of singles around a Michael McKenry strikeout to plate Jones and Neil Walker followed a Chase d'Arnaud fly out with a single over short to score Cedeno and chase Reyes from the game.
"We contributed to that inning with some sloppy defense," said Blue Jays manager John Farrell.
In the home half, Bautista answered with a two-run shot to left, his 24th of the year, but the Blue Jays still trailed 6-3.
Toronto added another in the sixth, as Thames led off with a triple and scored on Bautista's high chopper to third, which was misplayed by d'Arnaud.
McCutchen went deep in the top of the seventh, extending the Pirates' lead to 7-4, but the Blue Jays responded with a flurry in their next at bat. Tony Watson spelled Correia to begin the inning, only to allow back-to-back homers from Patterson and Encarnacion.
Watson was pulled in favor of Chris Resop, who fared no better, as the Blue Jays loaded the bases on a J.P. Arencibia walk, a Yunel Escobar double and an intentional walk to Bautista.
Again the Pirates went to the pen, calling upon Jose Veras. Lind jumped on a 2-0 fastball from Veras and ripped it down the first base line, but Overbay snagged the liner and doubled off Bautista to preserve Pittsburgh's 7-6 lead.
Veras again proved steady in the eighth, delivering a perfect half-inning to hand the game to Hanrahan.
Presley was recalled from Triple-A Indianapolis on Monday...The Pirates placed outfielder Jose Tabata on the 15-day disabled list prior to the game...Correia became the first Pirates pitcher since Bob Walk in 1993 to record 10 wins before the All-Star break...Previously, the Pirates had dropped 13 consecutive road games during interleague play.
- PITTSBURGH: 7
Jun 28 10:20 PM
- Chris Resop enters the game for the Pirates with none on and none out.
Pirates 7, Blue Jays 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 28 9:32 PM
- Corey Patterson lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Pirates 7, Blue Jays 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 28 9:26 PM
- Andrew McCutchen one-out, solo Home Run (11) to left. Lyle Overbay due up.
Pirates 7, Blue Jays 4 Top 7, 1 OutJun 28 9:17 PM
- Jose Bautista reached first on Chase d`Arnaud's fielding error, scored Eric Thames. Runner on first with none out and Adam Lind due up.
Pirates 6, Blue Jays 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 28 9:11 PM
- Adam Lind struck out swinging. None on with one out and Juan Rivera due up.
Pirates 6, Blue Jays 3 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 28 8:34 PM
- Neil Walker singled to center scored Ronny Cedeno. On the play, Alex Presley advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 6, Blue Jays 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 28 8:20 PM
- Alex Presley singled to center scored Garrett Jones. On the play, Ronny Cedeno advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Chase d`Arnaud due up.
Pirates 5, Blue Jays 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 28 8:17 PM
- Garrett Jones singled to first scored Matt Diaz. Runner on first with none out and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Pirates 4, Blue Jays 1 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 28 8:09 PM
- Matt Diaz tripled to right center scored Lyle Overbay. Runner on third with none out and Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 3, Blue Jays 1 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 28 8:07 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. J.P. Arencibia due up.
Pirates 2, Blue Jays 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 28 7:56 PM
- Alex Presley one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Ronny Cedeno. Chase d`Arnaud due up.
Pirates 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 28 7:45 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 28 7:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21