Martinez leads Astros past PiratesAug 31, 2011 - 5:37 AM
Jose Altuve added two RBI in support of Henry Sosa (2-2), who threw six strong innings. Sosa gave up just two hits and fanned seven batters to win back-to- back starts.
"It was really cool to see him pitch that way," Astros manager Brad Mills said. "He really threw the ball extremely well."
Carlos Lee and Jimmy Paredes each tallied a pair of hits and an RBI for Houston, which has won three in a row.
Martinez has 28 RBI this month, the most by any rookie in Astros history in a single month.
Charlie Morton (9-8) surrendered six hits and four runs over 5 1/3 innings. He also had eight strikeouts against four walks and has just one victory in his last eight outings.
"The ball was elevated tonight," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said.
Andrew McCutchen hit a solo homer off Brett Myers in the ninth inning, but the Pirates suffered their fifth loss in six games.
Alex Presley singled to center to drive in Ronny Cedeno in the third, but the Astros tied it in the fifth on Altuve's home run to left field.
Houston had seven hits in the sixth inning, including one from pinch-hitter Matt Downs, whose single to left scored Paredes and gave Houston the lead.
Chris Leroux came in to spell Morton, but Jordan Schafer, Altuve, Martinez and Lee each followed with base hits to expand the lead to 5-1. Paredes later doubled to left to drive in Martinez.
An infield base hit from Martinez plated Carlos Corporan in the seventh.
The Astros will recall righty Lucas Harrell to start Friday in place of Myers, who will be away from the club due to the birth of his child...Lee has an 11-game hitting streak...Downs has 12 pinch-hit RBI this season...McCutchen has 20 steals and 20 homers this season. He's the eighth player in Pirates history to accomplish the feat ..Morton went 338 at-bats since he surrendered a homer to a right-handed batter before giving one up to Altuve. Before that the last right-handed batter to homer off Morton was Matt Holliday, September 27, 2010 at Busch Stadium...The National League record for most RBI by a rookie in August is 29, held by Todd Helton in 1998 and David Justice in 1990...McCutchen has six RBI in his last five games.
- PITTSBURGH: 2
Aug 30 10:56 PM
- Andrew McCutchen two-out, solo Home Run (20) to right. Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 2, Astros 8 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 30 10:55 PM
- Carlos Lee fouled out to short to end the inning.
Pirates 1, Astros 8 End 7Aug 30 10:32 PM
- Jimmy Paredes doubled to left scored J.D. Martinez. On the play, Carlos Lee advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Clint Barmes due up.
Pirates 1, Astros 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 30 10:11 PM
- Carlos Lee singled to right scored Jose Altuve. On the play, J.D. Martinez advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Brian Bogusevic due up.
Pirates 1, Astros 6 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 30 10:02 PM
- Jose Altuve singled to center scored Carlos Corporan. On the play, Jordan Schafer advances to second and Matt Downs advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and J.D. Martinez due up.
Pirates 1, Astros 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 30 9:57 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Matt Downs singled to left scored Jimmy Paredes. On the play, Carlos Corporan advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jordan Schafer due up.
Pirates 1, Astros 2 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 30 9:51 PM
- J.D. Martinez struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Carlos Lee due up.
Pirates 1, Astros 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 30 9:30 PM
- Alex Presley stole second. Runner on second with two outs and Josh Harrison at the plate.
Pirates 1, Astros 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 30 8:50 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 30 8:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21