Twins rout A'sMay 20, 2011 - 5:29 AM
Justin Morneau went 3-for-5 with a two-run homer and scored twice for the Twins, who have won three in a row since a nine-game skid. Rene Rivera hit a solo homer.
Nick Blackburn (3-4) pitched seven solid innings, allowing one run on five hits to improve to 1-5 in nine career starts against Oakland.
"I can't remember having a good solid outing here in Oakland, so it was good," Blackburn said. "It was good to see the offense come out."
Mark Ellis drove in the lone run for the A's, who went 3-4 on a seven-game homestand.
Oakland starter Tyson Ross (3-3) threw just seven pitches before leaving the game with a left oblique strain. David Purcey gave up one run on four hits over 3 2/3 innings of relief.
"I'm disappointed I let the team down today," Ross said.
Ross gave up a leadoff single to Denard Span and threw three pitches to Plouffe before calling for the team trainer. Span moved to second on a passed ball and scored when Jason Kubel hit a single off Purcey.
Rivera's solo shot to left in the second made it a 2-0 game.
Minnesota tacked on two more runs in the fifth to create some distance. Kubel hit a one-out single and crossed the plate on Morneau's blast over the wall in right-center field.
The A's finally got on the board in the seventh. Hideki Matsui walked and moved to third on David DeJesus' one-out base hit. Ellis then grounded into a fielder's choice to plate a run.
But the Twins used a six-run eighth to break the game open. Morneau led off with a double, advanced to third on a Trystan Magnuson wild pitch and crossed the plate on Michael Cuddyer's base hit. Danny Valencia followed with an RBI double. Rivera's one-out single put men on the corners. Alexi Casilla then grounded into a fielder's choice to score Valencia. After Span walked, Plouffe hit a three-run homer to left to make it a 10-1 contest.
Delmon Young's RBI single in the ninth accounted for the final margin.
The Twins have taken three of five from the A's this season...Oakland center fielder Coco Crisp, who missed Wednesday's game due to a family matter, was back in the lineup on Thursday. He went 1-for-4...Cuddyer had three hits...The Athletics went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and stranded six...The Twins had 16 hits, compared to six for Oakland.
- MINNESOTA: 11
May 19 6:20 PM
- Delmon Young singled to left scored Luke Hughes. On the play, Danny Valencia advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Rene Rivera due up.
Twins 11, Athletics 1 Top 9, 1 OutMay 19 6:08 PM
- Trevor Plouffe two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Alexi Casilla and Denard Span. Jason Kubel due up.
Twins 10, Athletics 1 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 19 5:54 PM
- Alexi Casilla grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Danny Valencia. Rene Rivera out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Denard Span due up.
Twins 7, Athletics 1 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 19 5:49 PM
- Danny Valencia doubled to right center scored Michael Cuddyer. Runner on second with none out and Delmon Young due up.
Twins 6, Athletics 1 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 19 5:45 PM
- Michael Cuddyer singled to right scored Justin Morneau. Runner on first with none out and Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 5, Athletics 1 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 19 5:44 PM
- Mark Ellis grounded into a fielder's choice, pitcher to second scored Hideki Matsui. David DeJesus out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Kevin Kouzmanoff due up.
Twins 4, Athletics 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 19 5:38 PM
- Justin Morneau one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right center scored Jason Kubel. Michael Cuddyer due up.
Twins 4, Athletics 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 19 4:59 PM
- Rene Rivera one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Alexi Casilla due up.
Twins 2, Athletics 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 19 4:04 PM
- Justin Morneau flied out to left. Runner on first with two outs and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Twins 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 19 3:51 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 19 3:37 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22