Jackson helps A's edge RaysJul 26, 2011 - 7:19 AM
Coco Crisp added an insurance RBI double in the eighth for the Athletics, who bounced back from losing two of three games to the Yankees over the weekend.
Guillermo Moscoso gave up eight hits and five runs over five-plus innings before the A's came to the rescue by rallying from a 5-2 deficit. Michael Wuertz, Brian Fuentes (2-8), Grant Balfour and Andrew Bailey combined to shut down the Rays the rest of the way. Bailey escaped a jam in the ninth to get his 12th save.
Cliff Pennington smacked a two-run homer in the second inning for the A's.
"It can be contagious when you're not swinging well and it can be contagious when you're swinging well," A's manager Bob Melvin said. "If you get one or two guys going, sometimes guys follow suit."
Ben Zobrist and Kelly Shoppach homered for the Rays, who lost for the seventh time in 10 contests.
Jeremy Hellickson was charged with four hits and three runs in the start for Tampa Bay. J.P. Howell (2-2) suffered the loss.
Shoppach homered leading off the sixth inning, which was the final batter Moscoso faced.
Scott Sizemore lifted a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the frame and the A's went ahead the following inning. David DeJesus singled in Hideki Matsui. Joel Peralta then relieved Howell, but Jackson doubled to left field to drive in DeJesus and Willingham, who was on base with a walk.
"We have to close these games out," said Howell. "We just have to keep on trucking and try not to dig too deep a hole for us. We can get this back together if we all work at it."
Crisp doubled to left-center field in the eighth to score Pennington.
Bailey gave up a double to Zobrist and walked Evan Longoria with two down in the ninth, but fanned Matt Joyce to end the game.
Zobrist homered to right in the opening inning, but Pennington went deep in the second.
Sean Rodriguez came home on a Desmond Jennings double in the third and the Rays went ahead in the fifth inning. Joyce's fielder's choice plated Johnny Damon. Joyce then scored on B.J. Upton's triple to center.
The A's have hit two home runs or fewer in each of their last 73 games, which is the longest streak since an 86-game run from July 5, 1978 - April 10, 1979...The Athletics came to terms with first-round draft choice Sonny Gray on Monday. Gray, a right-handed pitcher out of Vanderbilt University, was the 18th overall selection in the 2011 draft...Oakland reinstated pitcher Tyson Ross from the 15-day disabled list and optioned him to Triple-A Sacramento...The A's are 77-46 against Tampa Bay. That includes a 44-18 mark in Oakland...Zobrist had three hits, but the Rays went 1-for-13 with men in scoring position.
- TAMPA BAY: 5
Jul 26 1:44 AM
- Hideki Matsui grounded out to first. On the play, Coco Crisp advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Josh Willingham due up.
Rays 5, Athletics 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 26 1:28 AM
- Conor Jackson doubled to left scored Josh Willingham and David DeJesus with one out. Runner on second and Scott Sizemore due up.
Rays 5, Athletics 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 26 1:04 AM
- David DeJesus singled to right scored Hideki Matsui with one out. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to third. Runners on first and third with Conor Jackson due up.
Rays 5, Athletics 4 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 26 12:59 AM
- Scott Sizemore sacrifice fly out to left scored David DeJesus with two out. None on and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Rays 5, Athletics 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 26 12:33 AM
- Kelly Shoppach lead-off Home Run (6) to left. Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 5, Athletics 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 26 12:11 AM
- B.J. Upton tripled to center scored Matt Joyce with two out. Runner on third and Casey Kotchman due up.
Rays 4, Athletics 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 25 11:50 PM
- Matt Joyce reached on a fielder's choice scored Johnny Damon, advances to second on Jemile Weeks's throwing error. Evan Longoria out at second. Runner on second with two outs and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 3, Athletics 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 25 11:47 PM
- Johnny Damon grounded out third to first. On the play, Desmond Jennings advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 2, Athletics 2 Top 3, 1 OutJul 25 10:55 PM
- Cliff Pennington two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Conor Jackson. Jemile Weeks due up.
Rays 1, Athletics 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 25 10:47 PM
- Ben Zobrist two-out, solo Home Run (12) to right. Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 25 10:13 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 25 10:08 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22