A's dump Rays on Willingham's HR in 10thAug 7, 2011 - 9:54 PM
Hideki Matsui hit a two-run homer and Ryan Sweeney drove in a run for the A's, who won the last two games of the series after dropping four in a row.
Fautino De Los Santos (1-0) earned his first MLB win after tossing a scoreless ninth and Andrew Bailey picked up his 13th save of the season after stranding two runners in the 10th to secure the win.
Evan Longoria and Casey Kotchman both hit solo homers and Desmond Jennings had three hits and an RBI for the Rays, who lost for the third time in six tries.
Jake McGee (0-1) took the loss -- the first of his career -- after surrendering the deciding home run in the 10th. David Price started the game for Tampa Bay but lasted just 4 2/3 innings after giving up four runs on seven hits.
The A's scored three in the fifth to take a 4-3 lead. Jemile Weeks tripled to left-center before Matsui homered to right. David DeJesus followed with a single then advanced to second and third following two straight walks. DeJesus then scored when J.P. Howell, who replaced Price one hitter earlier, threw a wild pitch.
Longoria tied the game in the seventh with a solo homer, clobbering a 1-0 fastball deep into the stands in left for his 16th home run of the season.
Johnny Damon almost won the game for the Rays in the ninth, driving a ball deep into right, but DeJesus caught it at the wall to end the frame.
Earlier, Tampa took a 1-0 lead in the third. Sean Rodriguez was hit by a pitch, stole second and moved to third on a Jennings bunt single. Damon followed with a groundout, but Rodriguez was able to score on the fielder's choice.
But Oakland came back in the fourth to tie the game at 1-1. DeJesus led off with a ground-rule double then scored when Sweeney singled to left.
The Rays added two more in the fourth to go up 3-1. Kotchman hit a leadoff homer before Matt Joyce scored on a Jennings single past a diving Eric Sogard at short.
Trevor Cahill started for the A's and gave up three runs on six hits.
Matsui extended his hitting streak to 15 games...Cahill's two walks gave him an American League-high 66. He is also tied with Colorado's Jhoulys Chacin for the most in the majors...The Rays placed pitcher Alex Cobb on the 15-day disabled list and recalled pitcher Cesar Ramos from Triple-A Durham...Tampa Bay fell to 16-15 in one-run games this season.
- OAKLAND: 5
TAMPA BAY: 4
Aug 7 5:20 PM
- David DeJesus flied out to left. None on with one out and Scott Sizemore due up.
Athletics 5, Rays 4 Top 10, 1 OutAug 7 5:02 PM
- Evan Longoria two-out, solo Home Run (16) to left. Ben Zobrist due up.
Athletics 4, Rays 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 7 4:10 PM
- J.P. Howell's wild pitch scored David DeJesus with two out. On the play, Ryan Sweeney advances to second and Scott Sizemore advances to third. Runners on second and third and Landon Powell at the plate.
Athletics 4, Rays 3 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 7 3:35 PM
- Hideki Matsui one-out, two-run Home Run (11) to right scored Jemile Weeks. Josh Willingham due up.
Athletics 3, Rays 3 Top 5, 1 OutAug 7 3:15 PM
- Desmond Jennings singled to left scoring Matt Joyce with two out. On the play, Sean Rodriguez advances to third and Desmond Jennings advanced to second. Runners on second and third and Johnny Damon due up.
Athletics 1, Rays 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 7 3:05 PM
- B.J. Upton struck out swinging. None on with one out and Matt Joyce due up.
Athletics 1, Rays 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 7 2:55 PM
- Ryan Sweeney singled to left scoring David DeJesus with one out. Runner on first and Landon Powell due up.
Athletics 1, Rays 1 Top 4, 1 OutAug 7 2:46 PM
- Johnny Damon grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scoring Sean Rodriguez with one out. Desmond Jennings out at second. Runner on first and Evan Longoria due up.
Athletics 0, Rays 1 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 7 2:36 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 1:40 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22