Willingham, Harden lead A's past JaysAug 20, 2011 - 7:09 AM
Harden (4-2) struck out 11 in seven scoreless innings, allowing just two hits and four walks for Oakland, which has won three of four overall. Grant Balfour and Andrew Bailey both hurled an inning of relief to finish off the shutout.
Willingham's homer was the only blemish for Brett Cecil (4-6), who otherwise allowed three hits and five walks over seven frames.
The Blue Jays had won three in a row and were coming off a 7-0 victory in the series opener. They had a chance to get to Harden in the first inning when an error and two walks loaded the bases, but Adam Lind, Edwin Encarnacion and Colby Rasmus all went down swinging against the A's starter.
"He is the one guy on the team who has the ability to strike three guys out in a row like that," said A's manager Bob Melvin. "That was a big momentum shift."
Willingham golfed his 21st home run of the season in the bottom half, the only extra-base hit recorded by the A's all night. Jemile Weeks walked ahead of the blast.
Harden didn't allow a hit until the fifth, and got a nice defensive play from his second baseman to keep Toronto off the board in the sixth.
With one out and a runner on second, Encarnacion hit a sharp grounder in the hole between first and second. A ranging Weeks made a diving stab to his left and got the out at first, and Harden struck out Rasmus to end the threat.
Balfour stranded a runner on third in the eighth, and Bailey erased a one-out single with a game-ending double-play ball off the bat of Aaron Hill to post his 16th save of the season.
Harden has 11 career double-digit strikeouts games, his previous coming against the Mets on September 5, 2009...Jose Bautista singled and walked three times for Toronto, which went 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position...Game time: 2:22.
- TORONTO: 0
Aug 20 12:31 AM
- Brandon Allen grounded out to first to end the inning.
Blue Jays 0, Athletics 2 End 1Aug 19 10:31 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 19 10:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21