Willingham, A's double up AngelsSep 13, 2011 - 6:53 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Josh Willingham hit a three-run home run and finished with four RBI to help the Oakland Athletics take a 6-3 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim in the opener of a three-game set.
Kurt Suzuki had three hits and Cliff Pennington added two hits, an RBI and a run scored for the Athletics, who had lost four of six coming into the game. Gio Gonzalez (13-12) gave up two runs on seven hits with a walk and six strikeouts over 6 2/3 frames to get the win.
"I was mostly focused on trying to keep the ball away from their bats," Gonzalez said. "It's a good hitting team, one that fights until the end."
Vernon Wells hit a solo homer and had two RBI while Erick Aybar also hit a solo home run for the Angels, who have dropped their past two games. Joel Pineiro (6-7) went three-plus innings and was charged with four runs on five hits with a pair of walks and four strikeouts.
The loss moves the Angels to three games back of Texas for first place in the AL West.
The Angels batted 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position and stranded six men on base.
"It's going to be important to us getting down to this stretch," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "Hopefully we're going to have a little more continuity, a little more consistency in that one department."
Oakland jumped on top in the first inning as walks by Jemile Weeks and Hideki Matsui set the table for Willingham, who clubbed a shot over the wall in left- center for a 3-0 lead.
The Angels made it a 3-1 game in the second as Torii Hunter hit a leadoff single and later came home on a Wells triple.
Oakland added two more to its lead in the fourth. With men on second and third, Tyler Chatwood took over for Pineiro on the mound and, after getting the first out, gave up a single to Scott Sizemore to score one. Later in the frame, Pennington made it a 5-1 game with a single.
Aybar's solo homer in the seventh made it a three-run game, but the Athletics got the run back in the bottom of the frame on an RBI single from Willingham.
Wells hit a leadoff homer in the ninth off of Grant Balfour, who set down the next three batters to cap the win.
Willingham has 25 home runs on the season and is one shy of matching his season-best set in 2006...Oakland has won nine of the 14 games against the Angels this season.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Sep 13 1:02 AM
- Josh Willingham singled to left scored Cliff Pennington. Runner on first with one out and David DeJesus due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 6 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 13 12:28 AM
- Erick Aybar two-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Jeff Mathis due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 5 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 13 12:11 AM
- Cliff Pennington singled to left scored Scott Sizemore. On the play, Jemile Weeks advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Hideki Matsui due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 12 11:34 PM
- Scott Sizemore singled to center scored Ryan Sweeney. On the play, Kurt Suzuki advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jemile Weeks due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 4 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 12 11:30 PM
- Vernon Wells tripled to right scored Torii Hunter. Runner on third with one out and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 3 Top 2, 1 OutSep 12 10:36 PM
- David DeJesus grounded out second to first. None on with two outs and Ryan Sweeney due up.
Angels 0, Athletics 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 12 10:26 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 12 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22