Angels falter at home to A'sSep 24, 2011 - 5:43 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jemile Weeks and David DeJesus both homered off Los Angeles ace Jered Weaver, and the Oakland Athletics spoiled the Angels' faint hopes for a division title with a 3-1 win.
The loss by the Angels, who failed to score after loading the bases in the eighth, secured Texas' second straight AL West crown. They also fell 3 1/2 games behind the wild card-leading Boston Red Sox with five games to play.
Gio Gonzalez (15-12) outdueled Weaver (18-8), allowing one run and three hits over 7 1/3 innings, and received immediate support from Weeks, who led off the game by sending Weaver's third pitch over the right-field wall.
"Jemile's leadoff homer set the tone right off the bat," Gonzalez said. "I did my best to keep us in the game. I was extremely focused and wanted to pound the strike zone."
The Angels tied the game in the seventh when Torii Hunter smashed his 22nd home run of the season to right-center.
But Oakland quickly retook the lead in its next at-bat. Kurt Suzuki singled leading off the eighth and Scott Sizemore bunted him into scoring position. A wild pitch by Weaver moved Suzuki to third and he scored the go-ahead run when Weeks' grounder couldn't be fielded cleanly by Los Angeles third baseman Maicer Izturis.
DeJesus provided insurance by going deep with one gone in the ninth, the final batter Weaver faced.
"Jered pitched well and gave us a chance to win," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia.
Weaver gave up six hits and fanned eight without issuing a walk.
Oakland is 10-7 against the Angels this year...Both teams were 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position...Andrew Bailey picked up his 22nd save.
- OAKLAND: 3
LOS ANGELES: 1
Sep 24 12:40 AM
- David DeJesus one-out, solo Home Run (10) to right. Cliff Pennington due up.
Athletics 3, Angels 1 Top 9, 1 OutSep 24 12:27 AM
- Jemile Weeks reached first on Maicer Izturis's fielding error scored Kurt Suzuki with one out. Runner on first and Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 2, Angels 1 Top 8, 1 OutSep 23 11:55 PM
- Torii Hunter one-out, solo Home Run (22) to center. Mark Trumbo due up.
Athletics 1, Angels 1 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 23 11:41 PM
- Jemile Weeks lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 23 10:10 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 23 10:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22