Towles' timely hit provides Astros with dramatic winMay 25, 2011 - 9:55 PM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - J.R. Towles broke out of an extended slump at the plate and singled home the winning run in the bottom of the ninth inning, as the Houston Astros edged the Los Angeles Dodgers, 2-1, at Minute Maid Park.
Towles, who entered Wednesday's rubber match of this three-game series mired in an 0-for-32 skid, finished with three hits for Houston.
Brett Wallace hit a one-out double off Los Angeles reliever Matt Guerrier (2-3) in the ninth. After Bill Hall flied out, Towles stroked a 2-0 pitch to center field to score pinch-runner Brian Bogusevic.
Rookie Aneury Rodriguez gave up a home run to Matt Kemp among four hits in six innings for the Astros, who have won four of their last six games. Mark Melancon (4-1) tossed an inning of relief to earn the win.
Ted Lilly yielded six hits, including a home run by Michael Bourn, over six frames for Los Angeles, which has dropped nine of 12.
Houston grabbed a 1-0 lead when Bourn deposited Lilly's first pitch of the game over the right field wall. Kemp tied the game in the sixth with his 12th homer of the season, a two-out blast to left field.
Towles nearly put the Astros ahead in the seventh, but was tagged out at home trying to score on an errant pitch from Mike MacDougal.
Houston won consecutive series for the first time this season...Towles' last hit came on May 4 at Cincinnati...Kemp had three of the Dodgers' six hits.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
May 25 4:49 PM
- J.R. Towles single to center scored Brian Bogusevic with two out to win the game.
Dodgers 1, Astros 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 25 4:49 PM
- Matt Kemp two-out, solo Home Run (12) to left. Jay Gibbons due up.
Dodgers 1, Astros 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 25 3:35 PM
- Michael Bourn lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Angel Sanchez due up.
Dodgers 0, Astros 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 25 2:19 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 25 2:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22