Giants walk off in extrasAug 28, 2011 - 6:26 AM
DeRosa singled with one out against Fernando Rodriguez (2-3) and swiped second for his first stolen base since 2009. Two batters later, Keppinger lined a 94 mph fastball into shallow right field and DeRosa beat Brian Bogusevic's throw for the winning run.
"I guess I tip my hat to him," Rodriguez said of Keppinger. "He's just one of those guys that you gotta battle and hope he's the one that makes a mistake."
The Giants have won the last two games of this four-game series after dropping the opener. They remained three games behind Arizona in the NL West after the division-leading Diamondbacks beat San Diego.
Jeremy Affeldt (3-2) faced only one batter but got the final two outs on a double play in the top of the 10th to earn the win.
The Giants scratched out their first run hours earlier when Mike Fontenot doubled to lead off the bottom of the first inning, went to third on Keppinger's ground out and scored on Carlos Beltran's grounder.
The Astros tied the game in the fifth on Carlos Lee's double, which scored Jason Bourgeois after a leadoff single.
Earlier Saturday, the Giants placed outfielder Nate Schierholtz on the 15-day disabled list due to a fracture in his right foot.
Eric Surkamp came up from Double-A Richmond to make his major league debut and pitched great, giving up six hits and three walks with four strikeouts for San Francisco.
"The kid showed great poise out there," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "He got in a couple jams, and he showed pretty much what I'd heard: good stuff, good poise. I just thought he had a great debut."
Brett Myers went seven innings for the Astros, giving up just two hits and three walks while striking out seven.
The teams are 3-3 against each other this season...Myers made his team-high 28th start of the season and was trying to snap a career-long, seven-game losing streak.
- HOUSTON: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Aug 27 11:57 PM
- Jeff Keppinger single to right scored Mark DeRosa with two out to end the game.
Astros 1, Giants 2 Bot 10, 2 OutsAug 27 11:57 PM
- Carlos Lee double to right scored Jason Bourgeois with one out. Runner on second and Jason Michaels due up.
Astros 1, Giants 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 27 10:13 PM
- Carlos Beltran ground out to first scored Mike Fontenot with two out. None on and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Astros 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 27 9:23 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 27 9:05 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21