Astros hand Rockies 9th straight lossSep 24, 2011 - 5:33 AM
Angel Sanchez knocked in two runs and scored three times for the Astros, who have won four of their last six. Matt Downs added two RBI, Clint Barmes homered and J.B. Shuck went 3-for-4 with a triple and scored three runs.
Brett Myers (7-13) worked six innings, scattering four hits and one run with a walk and six strikeouts.
"I'm just trying to keep the ball down. Earlier in the year the ball was elevated a lot," Myers said. "That's usually when I get hurt."
Chris Nelson homered for the Rockies, who haven't won since September 14 at Milwaukee.
Drew Pomeranz (1-1) recorded just six outs, and took the loss after giving up seven hits and six runs. He did manage to record his first major-league hit with a second-inning single.
"He just didn't have it," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "The ball was flat."
Colorado tallied on an RBI double from Dexter Fowler in the first, but Houston countered with five in the home half to seize control for good.
Shuck began the assault with a leadoff single and scored when Sanchez followed with a double. J.D. Martinez singled and Lee's double brought in two more runs, then Downs added a run-scoring two-bagger and Chris Johnson capped the burst with an RBI single.
The six consecutive hits to begin the game marked the first time in Astros history that club recorded as many without recording an out, breaking the old record of five, last accomplished on June 6, 2010 against the Cubs.
Sanchez walked with one down in the second and scored when Martinez followed with a double for a 6-1 Astros edge.
It was 8-1 for the home team in the fourth as Lee singled in Shuck, and Sanchez scored on a Downs fielder's choice. Myers singled to lead off the following frame and scored on Lee's bases-loaded grounder.
A Barmes solo homer in the sixth made it 10-1 for Houston. Nelson hit his pinch-hit blast in the seventh, but Shuck started the home seventh with a triple and scored on a Sanchez ground out.
Lee also knocked in four runs on Thursday, making him the ninth player in franchise history to notch back-to-back four-RBI games. The last Astro to do so was Lance Berkman, on May 30-31, 2000 against Colorado...Myers improved to 8-1 lifetime against the Rockies...Houston finished 6-for-16 with runners in scoring position and the visitors were just 1-for-10.
- COLORADO: 2
Sep 23 11:08 PM
- Angel Sanchez grounded out short to first, scoring J.B. Shuck with one out. None on and J.D. Martinez due up.
Rockies 2, Astros 11 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 23 10:37 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Nelson two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Eric Young Jr. due up.
Rockies 2, Astros 10 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 23 10:31 PM
- Clint Barmes one-out, solo Home Run (12) to left. Humberto Quintero due up.
Rockies 1, Astros 10 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 23 10:18 PM
- Carlos Lee grounded out to first, scoring Brett Myers with two outs. On the play, J.D. Martinez advances to second and J.B. Shuck advances to third. Runners on second and third and and Matt Downs due up.
Rockies 1, Astros 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 23 10:03 PM
- Matt Downs grounded into a fielder's choice to third, scoring Angel Sanchez with one out. On the play, Downs advances to second and Carlos Lee advances to third on Kevin Kouzmanoff's throwing error. Runners on second and third and Chris Johnson due up.
Rockies 1, Astros 8 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 23 9:37 PM
- Carlos Lee single to left scored J.B. Shuck with one out . On the play, Angel Sanchez advances to third. Runners on first and thirdand Matt Downs due up.
Rockies 1, Astros 7 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 23 9:34 PM
- J.D. Martinez double to center scored Angel Sanchez with one out. Runner on second and Carlos Lee due up.
Rockies 1, Astros 6 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 23 8:47 PM
- Chris Johnson single to left scored Matt Downs with none out. Runner on first and Clint Barmes due up.
Rockies 1, Astros 5 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 23 8:27 PM
- Carlos Lee double to center scored Angel Sanchez and J.D. Martinez with none out. Runner on second and Matt Downs due up.
Rockies 1, Astros 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 23 8:23 PM
- Angel Sanchez double to left scored J.B. Shuck with none out. Runner on second and J.D. Martinez due up.
Rockies 1, Astros 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 23 8:20 PM
- Dexter Fowler double to left center scored Eric Young Jr. with none out. Runner on second and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 23 8:08 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 23 8:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21